bathroom wall mounted fan heaters....

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

In recent models the pull-cord attaches to a plastic see-saw lever whose other end presses against the microswitch. The lever is not strong enough to survive someone (old/deaf/female) pulling the cord hard, but paying no attention to either the 'feel' of the switch operating, or the click as it operates.
I did manage to find new see-saw levers from a spares place.

Yeah, I do it that way myself, with a couple of fan heaters in the very coldest weather. I don't have a bath, just a shower so there is no risk of slopped water at all.
ARW explained on 01/02/2015 :

No, they don't - or at least, only a bit.
Not long ago I had a dose of the squits at about 2.30am and had to sit on the loo for about half an hour. It was very cold that night so I obviously switched on the fan heater as soon as I walked in the room. The model of fan heater we've got is like most on the market today in that it starts off at 2kw output but then switches down to 1kw when *IT,* not me, decides it's hot enough.
I'm sat there, shivering my watsits off, when after about 10 minutes I hear the click of the fan switching to 1kw output. Up at fan height it was indeed bleedin' boiling but down at loo level it was fookin freezing!!!
On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 11:01:07 +0000, John wrote:

Sticking a heater up high then hoping doesn't change basic laws of physics, unfortunately. Heat will always rise, no matter how much you cross your fingers that it won't.
Adrian presented the following explanation :

It's not exactly high - ceilings are 7' 6" and the only place it could go means that the outlet grille of the heater is at 5' 8". The bathroom's only the size of a shoebox! Bloody useless things :-@
On Monday, 2 February 2015 11:00:56 UTC, John wrote:

Ah that reminds me, the borked old one is mounted approx waist high on a wall opposite from the washbasin, I suspect it will be in Zone 3 (as more than 600mm away but less than 2.4m)
This seems to narrow the candidates further as e.g. Dimplex and other *bathroom* fan heaters say "pullcord operation" and installation instructions have a minimum height from floor figure 1800mm specified (and 600mm from any shelf).
I am obviously not wanting to do a dodgy replacement install here.... have the regs (and so available products) changed in these regards since the er 1970s/1980s? Is this why I can't find any fan heater units comparable to the old one?
What sort of fan heater can I put in Zone 3 "officially"?
TIA
Jim K
er.co.uk> escribió: >Bollocks. They work quite well.
+1. And the countdown timer is useful for getting rid of condensation after a bath or shower. Means you don't forget to turn it off.
--
:: je suis Charlie :: yo soy Charlie :: ik ben Charlie ::

Presumably to dry the place out after its been used.
Not the cheapest way to do that but it may not matter much in practice.

Shouldn't be hard to add a timer to a wall mounted fan heater.