Bathroom cabinet electrical shock?

So, does this mean the cabinet is still the source of the problem? Could it be that the pipework to the tap is not bonded to earth? Also by holding the probes just between my hands give a 0 reading and the meter isn't picking anything up just from the air. Or as was originally suggested ( by yourself?) is this all down to the leakage from the cabinet under permissible levels? I still want to get rid of it!
On 14/05/2011 14:01, deano wrote:
Its getting a bit tricky working out what you are replying to, since you have removed all context, and google groups is breaking the threading (as its does from time to time)...

You probably don't have a problem in reality. If via a DMM on a voltage measurement range you see small quickly decaying voltages when you probe between the cabinet and the main earth terminal.

It probably is. However one would need to check if you are going to use it as a reference point for doing further tests.

We need to know if the cabinet has an earth connection or not, and if it requires one or not. My *guess* would be that it does not, and it does not require one.
--
Cheers,

John.

Hi John. Sorry about the referencing & threading, I'm subscribing to this thread via my iPhone which doesn't integrate very well with groups.
I have taken the top off the cabinet whilst in situ, there are no labels on the outside of it pertaining to electrical specs, only one about halogen lamps being very hot. Inside the top, the electrical gear consists if a standard low voltage lamp transformer/konvertor ( it's German). There is an earth wire from the mains connected directly to the metal casing, via an enclosed choc block and a crimped earth terminal (hoop). The 'konvertor' is marked with the double insulated box icon! So, from what's been posted, does this mean the tingling is not caused by poor component leakage? Should I be checking the continuity of the earthing on the main line in?
Many thanks for the assistance, Deano
deano wrote:

Is any part of the 'konvertor' metallic and in contact with cabinet?
Knowing the cabinet itself is earthed, the leakage you're seeing could be reaching it from any other appliance(s) in your house.
In article

Is the earth wire connected to any metal parts on the cabinet body? If so, and you're getting a 'tingle', that earth isn't connected or other things in the room are above earth. It's normal in a bathroom to have all conducting parts bonded together.
--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Dave AND Andy (how does one respond to 2 posters in one reply?)
Right, am now on my laptop so typing and posting is easier!
Taking it from the top...
The konvertor is plastic casing, just like any normal downlighter transformer, you'd find in a ceiling void. The twin and earth flex comes into the top of the cabinet gear casing, is held by a bracket to keep it from pulling at other connections. The cores then go into the clip-shut choc block, then the brown(live) goes to a rocker switch (rubber membrane covering) then onto the konvertor; blue(neutral) -> konvertor; green/yellow(earth) to the cabinet outer casing where it is fixed to the casing with a screwed/clamp terminal.
The cabinet came with the flex coming out the top, all ready to connect to the mains... no need to open casing. This was connected, through the wall, to a recessed, switched FSU - inside my kitchen 'utility cupboard', purpose built to house dryer, washing machine and fridge freezer with all relevant plumbing feeds, electrical feeds and drainage.
I am now planning to check... a) The connections inside the FSU to see if earth has come loose b) temporarily bond the plumbing pipework in utility cupboard to earth as some sections have been replaced in the house, with plastic, over the years and am wondering if the route to earth has been broken somewhere.
Does all this provide further clues to you guys in solving this debacle :)
I can photobucket images of the top of the cabinet if needs be, but the cabinet has been installed 'as it came' and it must have been tested before leaving the factory!
So I'm pretty sure now that the fault is elsewhere but bow to your superior knowledge and experience... until I do my part P, hopefully this year.
My guess is the ECC to the transformer isn't connected to anything. Is the house wiring old? No earths on lighting circuits some years back.
--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

ECC?
Electronically controlled coupling? Earth Circuit Cable?
could only find these on acronym finder, that seemed relevant :)
In article

Earth continuity conductor. The 'E' in TW&E.
How old is the house wiring? Has the CU got a built in RCD? Fuses or MCBs? Was this cupboard added to the original installation or the supply to it run in at the same time as the house was wired? Lots of variables, I'm afraid.
--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

It must be an old term:-) We use CPC -circuit protective conductor now.
--
Adam

Well I am old.
Is it now TW&C? ;-)
--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

I am never going to be old, just more experienced!

TBH I am one of the worst culprits on this newgroup for just using terms such as earth and ring circuit when answering questions insread of the correct terms.
--
Adam

On 15/05/2011 13:23, deano wrote:

I think he meant CPC, circuit Protective Conductor - aka earth wire
--
Cheers,

John.

Update:
DMM gives me an audible beep between mains earth (fly lead) and cabinet casing, so cabinet is connected to earth, including upstream FSU and line feed.
In article

A 'bleep' only says the resistance is within certain limits. Although better than nothing.
--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Ok, investigating this as we speak (post/google/thread/whatever)!
CU (understairs) is MCB variety... no split loads with RCD (or RCBO's: I wish!!) The system has been extended around the house in many areas so, as you say... many variables!
Perhaps I do need to call in my pal and get the whole place tested, corrected and certified then.
Latest: just switched off all the appliances and unplugged them, in the utility cupboard and the tingling has stopped! Something awry there then... time to put them back on one at a time and identify the correlation!
Also... you must be old :) what's the 'T' and the 'W' of TW&E then? Can't find it anywhere on t' web ;)

Twin and earth cable.
What earthing have you got at the main incoming fuse? It could be missing or have a very high impedance.
--
Adam

On Sunday, May 15, 2011 2:48:34 PM UTC+1, ARWadsworth wrote:
I thought that was T&E, not TW&E or is it just another way of putting it?

Sorry, not sure what you're asking here? Could you ask me in idiot terms :)

It's all here for when you are on your laptop
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title rthing_Types
--
Adam

I wondered if that's what you were referring to. I don't think the problem here is that far up the stream, as the mains Earthing in the house has been in situ since I moved here, some 14 years ago and has been tested in anger IIRC at various times with short circuits and fuses blowing but I get that you're covering the bases and going to the worst case scenario, identifying the source.
As I've since posted... I've narrowed it down to certain wall sockets in the utility cupboard... I think :)