Bath hot tap water flow slowing.

The water from my bath hot tap has slowed down considerably.

All the other hot taps in the house seem unaffected.

Would I be right in thinking that the pipe leading from the boiler to the tap is full of scale / chalk?

I live in a very hard water area with chalk. (South coast)

I am planning on installing a water softener in the next couple of months. (salt based)

Would this help cure the problem, assuming it is the pipe being bunged up!

Steve...........

Reply to
dog-man

The tap washer could be knackered or the jumper that holds the washer might not be rising up from the seat as it should. As far as I know, a water softener will not remove existing limescale, only reduce formation in the future.

Reply to
Handy

AIUI, the softened water does dissolve the deposited limescale and _gradually_ (where gradually means "a long time') ... the result, of course, is to get new-hard-water from the softened water taps.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

Over a long period, yes.

You could also tip a load of descaler into the water tank

..but dont drink from any taps till its run through..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No tank, I have a combi!

Reply to
dog-man

Descaler is usually acidic. If the OP has copper water pipes there could be problems, if I remember correctly from my chemistry lessons, due to copper reacting with an acid. A plastic tank should be OK, but galvanised steel might be a problem.

Reply to
Handy

Ah..all you can do is shut the water off, take the tap apart and try and descale it..

Softened water does, over a longish period, remove pipe scale.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh, indeed. Descaler etches copper and scars chrome. BUT it attacks scale about 100 times faster..so in general you do it once, and then fit a softener..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Now that info changes the game quite a bit.

The slowdown is probably in the boiler. The other taps probably don't show the slow down as badly as the larger bath taps. To accurately diagnose the problem you will need to measure the flow rate at the taps and really see if the bath tap is much worse.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

dog-man

I'd agree about the jumper - there is a circlip that sometimes comes adrift. Easiest thing is to change the enitre assembly.

A softner will remove existing limescale - in about the same time as it took to build up in the first place.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You were about to say something?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

If it turns out to be that the problem with the hot water flow slowing down is within the boiler, what is likely to be the problem?

Steve...

Reply to
dog-man

CaCO3