Slow flow hot water tap

Hi, the flow of hot water to our upstairs bath has always been fine but recently has started to slow to a tricke so running a bath takes an age. I've looked through some of these posts and learnt how to take the valve out of the hot water tap but can't see anything wrong:- the washer at the bottom of the valve looks in good shape and is sitting snugly in the position it should be. The rest of the taps both hot and cold in the house are running without problems. Any ideas? Thanks, Jim

Reply to
jilliamisaac

AFAIK earlier threads have addressed two potential faults - pipe "restrictions" and tap washer/assembly issues. I can't remember if the OP's every came back with the cause. A suggestion to eliminate the "pipe restrictions" issue : with the tap assembly removed a plastic bag is placed over the tap body and sealed round the tap base with rubber bands and the bag cut so that (with someone watching!) when the hot water is turned back on the water discharges into the bath and you are able to see the flow rate.

PeterK

Reply to
PeterK

I addressed this in some detail a while back in another thread. If your tap has a plastic handle held on by a screw under the red cap, a circlip holding the mechanism in and a dome shaped washer they can develop a progressive wear fault which causes them to expand as they get warm and lock up on the hot water side. They seem to work fine on the cold. You won't easily see why there is a problem unless you're a better design engineer than the man who came up with them.

A new tap is the easiest cure unless you have a lathe and an engineering degree.

Reply to
Dave Baker

I had a similar problem about 5 years after having a new hot water tank fitted. Turned out that the slow flow was due to bit on insulating foam from the outside of the HW tank getting jammed in the tap - quick poke with a screwdriver sorted it. Another masterpiece of professionalism by the plumber who fitted the tank!

sam

Reply to
sam

20-odd years ago our next door neighbours had a slow-flow problem of the bath h/water tap. Eventually the rotted remains of (probably) a starling came through. No lid on the storage tank.
Reply to
Tony Williams

If it's not too awkward to do, you could try swapping over the H and C taps to confirm whether there's an issue with the tap itself, or the water supply to the tap.

David

Reply to
Lobster