Bashing in cable clips

snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote:

No good. It seems OK when you do it, but after months/years it comes loose.
Bill

A splodge of No More Nails down the hole before inserting the dowel?
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 11:07:22 +0100, Peter Johnson
Followed by the removal of the nail from the cable clip? <vbg>

Quite. Having been told how to do it easily, why try and re-invent the wheel? A box of plugs ain't expensive - and will keep for the next job.
--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

On 04/08/2013 15:50, snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote:

You probably want something a bit smaller. I have used wooden skewers when I didn't have anything else. they are about 3mm dia.
On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 15:56:59 -0700, orion.osiris wrote:

5.5mm SDS bit and a pack of these: http://www.screwfix.com/p/precision-multi-grooved-dowel-pins-6-x-30mm-pack-of-100/43876
On 04/08/2013 18:24, John wrote:

Not very elegant
On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 15:56:59 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote:

Drill a fine hole with a fine masonry bit, say 2 or 3 mm. Push in a matchstick to act as a plug and snap it off. Drive in nail on cable clip.
--

Chris

On 04/08/2013 20:00, Chris Hogg wrote:

IIRC masonry bits seem to start at 4mm
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 09:37:34 +0100, stuart noble

Just measured my finest at 3mm across the cutting head, but I'll admit that 2mm was probably a bit optimistic!
--

Chris

Easy, just buy (or build) a tool and cutter grinder and resize your 3mm drill into a 2mm one.
On 03/08/2013 23:56, snipped-for-privacy@virgin.net wrote:

BT used to supply engineers with a pin driver ... a meatal tube with a hole that fitted snugly over the pin, and at the end was a rod sticking out, that you hit with hammer. as the hole in shaft prevented pin from bending would driver into stone, concrete, brick etc.
Not sure what they were called - but I obtained one ... good bit of kit.
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 13:32:57 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:

I've used a similar ting for starting panel pins...the latest incarnation has more like a pistol grip but one doesn't need a hammer.
On 05/08/2013 16:47, Bob Eager wrote:

I have a panel pin pin-push, at least 30 yrs old, still working fine. What I was describing is similar in function.
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 18:11:55 +0100, Rick Hughes wrote:

Mine was about 20 years old when it finally gave up the ghost (I did use it a lot though). The new one has that 'pistol grip' handle with a weight in it, so, reversed, it makes a tiny hammer.
This thread sort of confirms my opinion - I hate masonry nails of any sort. ;-)
--
*Why were the Indians here first? They had reservations.*

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I think we've forgotten a very important point. Wear safety glasses. If the head comes off a masonry nail all the energy in the hammer is passed to that tiny head, which consequently travels very fast. It will penetrate your cornea and embed itself in your retina.
Oh, and never do this job naked.
Bill
On 05/08/2013 15:02, Bill Wright wrote:

Did you get a tee shirt?