Screw cable clips

I need to run some cables in the loft but for noise reasons I don't want to use hammer cable clips (not least, the wood is very hard and takes a lot of banging). Are there any suggestions for regular plastic cable clips with screws rather than nails? There are a few suppliers of aerial-cable clips:

not really suitable for T&E.

I've pulled the nails from some normal clips and fitted screws, but it's quite labour intensive. P-clips and cable-tie bases aren't as compact as regular clips when running parallel cables nor as fast to install.

Any better ideas welcome...

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Since it's "cables" [plural] is there scope for clamping parallel cables with a single strip of metal or wood screwed at each end over a sandwich of rubber/foam? I think I've even seen products to so but I've failed to find one in a quick look.

Reply to
Robin

Possibly... that kind of clamp exists. Not quite this, but similar for multiple thicker cables:

Although the thing about running cables is you're often running one at a time and it's easier to pin as you go, rather than lay a bundle and then have to sort out the mess afterwards. It also doesn't help when they have to separate off from the 'trunk' to go their separate ways.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Fit 20mm oval or round conduit and screw the conduit clips at greater spacing, then stuff the cables through the conduit.

Unless you carrying heavy current through those cables there should not be a problem. There is table of derating I believe in the Part XVII etc stuff.

Unless you live in an ancient house with old oak roof timbers it should be possible to fit normal clips by tapping the initial fix then using a hardwood block between hammer and pin head, or even use a hammer head intended for driving polytop pins.

Reply to
Andrew

They do wall plugs for cable clips

The disadvantage may be the drilling of 5/6mm holes just to knock in a pin with ease.

Reply to
alan_m

Self-adhesive trunking?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Just use All-Rround band. Plastic coated and cut it to length.

Reply to
ARW

I got some cable clips from somewhere which are like a strip of plastic doubled back on itself and a screw hole through both ends. I have tried searching for them and can't find them. If these will be of use let me know and I will do a more thorough search for you.

Reply to
leen...

you mean like these?

SH

That might look a bit of a bodge on the trusses, but it does have a certain merit when buried amongst the loft insulation (easier to fish out the cable, easier to trace, fewer fix points..). I might give that a go for some runs, thanks.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Does the glue hold up in the hot environment of a loft?

I've had double sided foam tape and 3M commando strips fail at the glue boundary in the recent 40C hot days. In both instances the the items being held in place were previously OK for over a year. Both were out of doors, protected from all but horizontal rain and in direct sunlight for around half the day.

Reply to
alan_m

I'd screw them in, and then use occasional metal cable clips to offer fire support (not strictly needed but no harm). A screw or nail every metre or so is much better than normal cable clip spacing to avoid sags. I wouldn't rely on glue, although trunking along floor joists wouldn't go anywhere if the glue did fail.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

P clips.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

yes, the clue was in the URL as q=P+cable+clips+and+screws&atb :-)

Reply to
SH

I didn't go on the URL; I used my encyclopaedic knowledge of cable fixing methods.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yes exactly :)

Reply to
leen...

Good old-fashioned buckle clips with a small round-head or panel-head screw through the hole?

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Ahem, cable buried in the insulation?

Reply to
GB

What's the problem with my 1.5mm T&E under c. 500mm of insulation in the loft for lighting?

Reply to
Robin

I've encountered banding. You know that plastic stuff with a metal clamp that goes around things. of course this was only on wood where you can get all the way around!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff