Base for garden shed

I will be shortly rebuilding my garden shed, I have about a ton of those red drive chips, would it be ok to mix this with cement and use as a base?

Reply to
ss

Not quite sure what you mean, but don't see why not. Good strong concrete includes a range of sizes of "filler" from "stones" down to "sand". For a garden shed it probably doesn't matter much.

Reply to
newshound

Its those sort of `chips` about 2 to 3 cm in `diameter` that are used for driveways.

Reply to
ss

If theyre not porous, sure. If they are, no.

NT

Reply to
NT

In the same way that you don't make hills out of chalk, only sandstone?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You next a mix of fining ... so a s long as you are also using sharp sand you should be OK

1:3:5 would be good enough for a base ... lay at least 100m thick to avoid cracking. As chipping are small, if you mix it with wet slump, it will level easily.
Reply to
Rick Hughes