Bang goes Zog energy.

They haven't been buying future gas at cheaper prices. They have been buying future gas at higher but guaranteed prices. Or hedging with derivatives which amounts to paying an insurance premium against price rises.

What *should* have happened is that you got stuck paying market prices and your bills trebled. Ofgem prevented that, so the cost has fallen on non cheapskate customers and the tax payer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I hope not. people who are essentially taking commercial risks need to be exposed to the risk downsides as well as the upsides. It would have been better if nearly all the high street banks had collapsed...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Which works both ways and is not the simple task that you seem to think it is. For most of the minnow energy companies, the costs of hedging would have wiped out their profits.

Meanwhile OFGEM has made it clear who is actually going to pay for all these cheapskates -

"Energy companies will be repaid the cost of taking on the customers of bankrupt suppliers sooner than expected, adding further upward pressure to household bills from April.

Bloomberg has the details:

Paying for the cost of absorbing millions of customers without being reimbursed for as long as 18 months was one of the key gripes of energy suppliers still left in the market.

Regulator Ofgem has brought forward the date suppliers can start to recover these claims via bills to April, but that means higher costs for consumers already facing a hike in the nation?s price cap."

Reply to
Andrew

YES...WE HATE CHEAPSKATE PARASITES ....I took the food parcels because we couldn't risk going to the shops.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

yes cheapskate bastards

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

just parasites

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

All the major supermarkets would have delivered the food you paid for!

Reply to
alan_m

OK then to be honest it was the first feebee I ever had and I enjoyed it...tee hee

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Bills wouldn't have trebled. The wholesale price of the energy doesn't make 100% of the bill. Before the wholesale cost increases it was around

35% of a dual fuel bill. Green stealth taxes make up 25% of the electricity bill.
Reply to
alan_m

Round here, it was impossible to get a delivery slot even with all thenmajor firms in the area. . Jim lives somewhere only one firm might deliver.

Reply to
charles

Jim is a freeloader.

Reply to
Brian

You could have ordered from shops who delivered and paid.

Or there were plenty of volunteers who took shopping lists for people and delivered it to them.

Reply to
Brian

totly

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

f*ck charity

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

paid for?...how does that work ? ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

No shortage of volunteers who would do shopping and deliver.

Reply to
Brian

but not you then ? ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

The Natural Philosopher snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid wrote

Nope, that would have produced another great depression or worse.

Reply to
John Brown

Don?t you normally pay for the groceries you get from supermarkets?

Reply to
Brian

It is more than likely your free food packages were donated. Probably delivered by people who were associated with a charity. Charities fund a lot of medical research, enabling things like transplants.

Reply to
Brian