Backup hot water options for combi owners

I would just nip round to the gf's and use her bath.

Reply to
ARW

Cylinder heated by system boiler, then immersion heater as backup, or kettles, or pans on gas stove.

In the drive I have the caravan, which has water heater which can run on gas or 240v, which can provide a good shower and off grid cooking, plus off grid heating.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

In the old flat, no backup other than a kettle. Now in house with 30 year old oil boiler, loft tanks, immersion heater, and electric shower. Will need to be replaced sometime, not least because an electric shower is rather feeble at this time of year.

Reply to
DJC

quite, and in the worst case, it wouldn't break the bank to spend a few nights in the very good hotel down the road.

Reply to
DJC

Heating - wood burner. Gas hob. Dishwasher and clothes washer both heat from cold.

If I really, really need a wash (and it is only January) I can visit a friend.

Alternatively the motor home on the drive is fully self sufficient and also serves as a backup should there be a prolonged power cut.

Come the long delayed revolution I may also have an electric shower and a wood burner in the Mother Of All Sheds but that is unlikely this year (or even next).

Emergency electric shower wasn't even considered; washing isn't an essential thing for the expected time to fix a combi boiler. I would be more concerned about a power cut.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Cue Dim (IMM) ...

Another combi

Reply to
Andrew

Or even several days when the weather is cold or cool.

Reply to
Andrew

I was waiting for someone to suggest it! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

You can wash all the smelly bits at the sink with a flannel. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As cold showers would be the end of the world.....

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Well my back up is that I know a plumber who is a previous neighbour of old and will put me to the front of the queue for repairs. I am on combi but also have electric shower with a couple of cheap halogen heaters for room heating if required. Last house old style gas boiler packed in and had a new combi fitted within the week, this house a thermostat failure and sorted in 2 days all at mates rates. I can live with that.

Reply to
ss

Yes, same here, although it'd still look a bit odd, and need a more elaborate curtain/screen.

Reply to
RJH

Multipoint water heater for basin, sink and bath. Electric shower also in the (corner) bath + (gas / electric) kettle for basins. Dishwasher / washing machine cold feed.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m