B&Q Price promise Boll**ks

"Caveat Emptor" as the old saying goes....

Try Screwfix (owned by B&Q as it happens):-

3 spot light from 7.99 for a bog standard R50 Coping Saw 5.25 Adjustable Bevel 6.49

(don't know what type of saw blades)

Reply to
John Rumm

Mate, read the whole thread to get an idea of what the argument is about, particuarly the one from Martin Angove.

Reply to
Earl Kella

If you go to a decent tool shop, you'll find several brands of tenon saws of different qualities and very different prices. Is this so hard to understand? So moving on, a B&Q branded tenon saw might be a very different animal from a Homebase one. The *only* time a price comparison really applies is if the item is *identical in every way*. And any shed which tries to vary this would be committing commercial suicide. Nice new Makita drill for the price of a NuTool, anyone?

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Same product = same brand and part number

The electrical retailers have worked this scam out years before B&Q coppied it, they sell almost the exact same thing, with a different part number. Only when you buy a top brand product, like say a "Dyson DC01" do you have any chance with this sort of scam ..........

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

In message , Rick Dipper wrote

Photographic retailers have been doing this for 30 years or more and even on top brand products there was a slightly different model number for each retailer.

Reply to
Alan

Technically owned by Kingfisher surely, who also happen to own B&Q among other well known shop chains.

Reply to
chris French

In message , Rick Dipper writes

Why is this a scam?

Surely everyone knows it is a marketing ploy, to get you in the shop. If someone relies on this as a reason for shopping in particular place, well about time they were a little less naive

Reply to
chris French

Ultimately yes, but there is a broad web of holding companies etc. and IIRC from when I looked at the Companies House site regarding Bargain Bob's., B&Q's immediate one is Castorama. No doubt there are corporation tax and other reasons for the complex structure.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

On a positive note for B&Q's price promise I did get 15 quid off them when I bought a new central heating controller a couple of years ago. Having noticed it in homebase for £45 I went around to B&Q where it was priced around the £60 mark and drew this to their attention when I got to the till. After a quick phone call to the local Homebase they dropped the price and gave me the difference. So they have at least been known to cough up for identical goods.

I suppose the issue here is whether or not the goods are effectively identical and how you go about proving that.

cheers

David

Reply to
dgm

I don't like price promises, it's like they're saying they _could_ offer better value, but can't be bothered to unless _you_ do the legwork.

Though I expect they have a refund policy, so you could always get your money back and shop elsewhere.

You don't see many tradesmen shopping in B&Q do you? ;)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C