Assembling Ikea Cabinets

I got to the last part of the assembly of unit no2 and whilst putting on the top a dowel broke through. It pushed a big 'scab' of sawdust wood out. I tried to stick it back with super glue but no good....it is raised slightly, although I put a precision flat surface on it weighed it down with a microwave transformer. It looks like the dowel hole had been drilled very close to the surface and the force offered by the mating hole just pushed it through.

Reply to
jon

Unusual for IKEA, their stuff is normally very accurate. Perhaps you pushed too hard.

Reply to
newshound

Take it back

Reply to
charles

All their stuff is machined by robots, with all the holes on each piece being drilled on each side in a single operation. Possibly you didn't insert that particular dowel deep enough in the top piece before inserting it in the side. Which is easy enough to do when fatigue sets in. Then when you mate up the two pieces the protruding dowel can get jammed sideways rather than pushed home in with the result you experienced.

Ideally you should have sorted that out - ideally without bashing it too hard which might have flattened the end - before gluing back the detached piece which would have been possible with PVA. Before then re-inserting the dowel and having another go..

michael adams

michael adams

I will stand a potted plant on it.

Reply to
Smolley

I think they may well replace the mismade part, provided you can find a sensible person who does not want you to take it all apart and give you a complete new one that is. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Four or five times I had to re-assemble a drawer, because the slide-in base didn't. The rough finish and swaff on machined compressed sawdust can make all the difference.

Reply to
jon