are extractor fans a standard width?

cookers are generally in standard sizes

so, logically, the extractor fans above them should be

yes?

--

Gill Smith

Cookers come in a number of different standard sizes. I would expect the same of fan hoods.

But logic doesn't really come into it much. If your cooker is surrounded both by floor cupboards and wall cupboards, it may, but won't necessarily, be the case that each floor unit will have a wall unit of the same width directly above it, with all the joins lining up vertically. Therefore it isn't necessary for the hood to be the same width as the cooker.

At the moment I have a 50cm cooker with a 60cm hood above it.

The cooker is actually in a 54cm gap between floor units, because that's how wide the previous cooker was.

The hood is in a 72cm gap between wall units, because that's just how things worked out when the wall units were put in.

The gaps beteen cooker and floor units, and between hood and wall units, are bridged with wooden battens to make it look reasonable.

Reply to
Ronald Raygun

Usually 60 cm to fit below a 60cm overhead unit.

Which looks a bit messy if the base units are sized for a 50cm cooker.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

than twice the price per millimetre of 50's and 60's: I have a pair of "singles" butted together. I'm inclined to think it is good to have an "overhang", also I have a pair of "wings" extending outwards and down to help channel steam into the hood (in the style of commercial ones).

Reply to
newshound