Anyone here part of SpeedWatch?

In message , ARW writes

IME they are not, and if I may reply to another comment, in a village near us the main culprits were found to be local residents not the through traffic.

Reply to
bert

In message , ARW writes

:-) I was being pedantic.

The top of our lane is a *minor crossroad* with the 40 mph signs in sight. Visibility can be poor if a delivery lorry is parked in front of the restaurant. Very tempting for through traffic to accelerate.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'm not surprised that people like Adam don't like been snooped on.

People like Adam don't.

Or is the consensus that

No, that any speed limits have to set for the worst conditions and that much of the time those conditions are not present and exceeding the speed limit isn't any less save when its only exceeded by say 10% so it makes no sense for self important tossers to be mindlessly enforcing speed limits.

And yes, I routinely exceed speed limits when it is safe to do so.

Reply to
john james

Ooer! You do sound important!

you may think so. People have been prosecuted for standing at the roadside holding a hairdrier.

Reply to
charles

Have they really...? What for?

Reply to
Adrian

Impersonating a police officer

Reply to
charles

Wanker

Reply to
ARW

How many police officers have you seen standing there with a hair dryer?

Reply to
dennis

OK, impersonating a wanker

Reply to
bert

What about curling tongs:

Tim Watts

If I write to Mr Plod, and say I wasn't exceeding the limit by _that_ much - well, shall we say I chose discretion?

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Yes, but is the difference between the actual speed and the limit the cause?

We have a road down here that I reckon I could take at a ton (given road closures - there are side turnings) yet several people seem to have driven off it and crashed. So they've imposed a 50 limit. I have a feeling those crashes weren't under 60 either - the most recent (non-fatal) one was over a ton, and drunk too.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I am angry because they lied.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

Curling tongs my arse. Those are plastic coke bottles (2 litre).

Reply to
Tim Streater

There was a massive crash the other day in a nearby town. It happened at a junction that used to be bad.

The crash was bad enough to need the roof cutting off one of the cars and 5 ambulances in attendance. Interesting that the junction has had traffic lights for the last year which should make crashes unlikely.

Reply to
Tim Watts

There is a growing number of drivers that think they know better than the people that installed the lights and that they can see its safe to ignore the lights. Its probably a subset of those that can drive safely above the speed limits. It may even be a progression.

Reply to
dennis

Our village by-pass, completed in 1977, had 5 incidents of vehicles leaving the road and arriving in our fields in the first 2 years! There have been none since! Some on-road shunts of course.

Did '79 coincide with a speed limit change or do drivers need time to learn a new route? Traffic flow has hugely increased so it may be clear roads that cause accidents:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Clear roads do cause accidents, the speed goes up until it exceeds the drivers ability. Some drivers learn their limits before they have a major crash, some just aren't capable of learning.

There was an idiot around here that borrowed his parents car and wiped himself out by crashing into a gatso in the central reservation. The parents blamed the camera! I suppose that if the camera wasn't there he could have crossed the central reservation and not killed someone coming the other way but I don't see how a camera can be blamed.

Its a 40 limit so there should be no trouble negotiating the bend.

Reply to
dennis

we had an accident near hewre a few years ago, when a Volvo estate hit a tree on a road with a 40mph limit. Theer were accusations of teh limit posts being too far apart, etc. Nobody noted that the two killed were 14 &

13 years old.
Reply to
charles