Anyone here part of SpeedWatch?

That probably depends on how many near misses you have had from speeding vehicals. In this neck of the woods it's motorcyclists. Fortunately they tend not to be about unless the weather is warm and dry which is a bit surprising considering their sucidal tendancies are under such good conditions. A couple of inches of snow should be great aid to embedding themselves in drystone walls or other road users.

Along with the hi-viz on a gate post I think a few markers for the places bikers have killed or seriously injured themselves might bring home the risks they take on going fast along these roads.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Just don't spill any diesel on the exit from the first corner or you will end up with a pile of dead bikers and bent cars.

The survivors will try and sue for the speed limit being set too high.

Reply to
dennis

Twelve of us toe to toeing it in my front garden gets a a police response time of 25 minutes (after three calls to the police from the neighbors) and leaves 1 person needing hospital treatment.

Anonymous phone call that I am drink driving gets a rapid response and they manage stop me before I get home whilst doing a 1 mile journey.

Reply to
ARW

Are you suggesting the real reason for stopping you at 1mph over the limit is to smell your breath for alcohol?

Reply to
ARW

Not even a free badge with a dick on it?

Reply to
ARW

As if... :)

Breathalyser could be fun.

"Sorry Officer, I'm a muslim and I'm not allowed to let my lips come into contact with anything that's been touched by a pig".

Reply to
Tim Watts

Toe to Toe?

Oh - I thought it meant something completely different!

Reply to
Tim Watts

In article , charles scribeth thus

It might be up to the pedestrian to bloody LOOK where there're going and LOOK before the attempt to cross the road let alone speed issues.

The daft buggers are living in a world of their own these days, they've got those stupid bloody earphones on and there're away in another world..

On their way to another world too;!./

Reply to
tony sayer

No they don't need that excuse to do that - they can make up any number of other excuses to stop you and talk to you.

Ones I have had is "spot check on insurance" (before the days of computers) and I'm sure by coincidence on new years eve and "we have had reports of a missing person and wondered if you have seen anyone suspicious"

Reply to
CB

No, that's a vehicle safety check.

Reply to
Nightjar

Congratulations on your engagement.

Reply to
ARW

Not a problem if SO19 have tasers.

Reply to
ARW

There's a thread on one forum at the mo where somebody's had a stroppogram off the local Plod, after a SpeedWatch group "tagged" 'em at 39 in a 30.

Small problem.

He works for a firm who do development work for car manufacturers, and the car was full of diagnostic and logging gear. It was on that road at that date and time - and did no more than 28.5mph, according to five separate calibrated and logged systems...

Reply to
Adrian

Isn't that the one in Gt Abington?..

Reply to
tony sayer

hence the reason why plod can't prosecute on the basis of this "evidence"

tim

Reply to
tim.....

The Police can't prosecute with Speedwatch data anyway - YET

Reply to
charles

In message , tony sayer writes

The local yellow jackets have one here. Often at the top of our lane so usually seen when I am slowing to turn.

I don't think they do any harm although I am concerned if their reporting or calibration is inaccurate.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

There is a reason for that. That is because you are a bunch of wankers with no legal authority.

Reply to
ARW

It may be the same gadget, but it's not in the same place.

IIRC though Gt Abington has a fixed one. This was a temporary mobile one.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

But that's where you're wrong. Members of Speedwatch have the legal authority to operate a speed "gun". Others haven't.

Reply to
charles