Anyone Got A Lava Lamp (poss OT)

I was given a Mathmos lava lamp on Freecycle recently and was
wondering about it's construction .
The bottle sits loosely on to the base and the 40 watt golfball bulb
is in the base . When switched on the base which is plastic ( poss
bakelite or similar) covered in aluminium gets very hot ...so hot you
can only touch it for about a half second .There doesn't seem to be
any way of ventilating the base . The bottle itself only gets warm .I
was just wondering if there is a part missing between the base and the
bottle .It doesn't seem right that the bottle sits loosely and also
that the base gets so hot .
Does anyone here have one of these lamps ...does it also get very hot
?
Stuart
Reply to
Stuart B
I don't pick it up when it's on but I will go and have a look at it now...
OK ours says "danger too hot pls don't touch"
So there you go, don't touch it.
Reply to
mogga
On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 13:51:44 +0000, mogga wrote:
Thx for that . I guess if you had kids youd keep it well out of reach . Can I ask about the bottle .Does it just sit loosely on the base ?
Stuart
Reply to
Stuart B
Yeah I had managed to figure that out but unless you own a lava lamp you will not know how hot it does get .It is VERY hot ,hence my question..
Stuart
Reply to
Stuart B
Yerbut isn't the heat meant to go up towards the lamp & not out through the base? My daughter had one & I don't recall that getting hot.
Reply to
The Medway Handyman
In message , The Medway Handyman writes
I have two - the glass gets warm, the bottom of the base gets hot, the top half of the base gets very hot.
Reply to
Si
Mine has a small REFLECTOR type bulb, 39mm I think. This must help with making the heat go where it's wanted - into the bottle rather than out the sides. The whole base does get hot though.
Regards, Simon.
Reply to
Simon Stroud
In message , Simon Stroud writes
Both mine came second-hand from ebay and neither had reflecting bulbs in place. Reflector bulbs make sense.
Reply to
Si
On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 23:21:02 -0000, "Matthew Ames" wrote:
It's hard to tell from the website what type of bulb they supply as a replacement but the label inside the base has a diagram showing a golfball shape bulb and it says 40 Watt
Reply to
Stuart B

Site Timeline Threads