Anyone got a Bosch strimmer?

If so, what the hell is this?

The monochrome manual is no use of course

Reply to
stuart noble

I haven't got a bosch one, and I haven't used my B&D one for many years, but I seem to remember some sort of blade to cut the line to length after you'd had to untangle it and spool out some more?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't have a Bosch, but that looks like the steel cutting blade that trims the strimmer line to the 'right' length, as the line whirls round, after you've bumped it to feed out more line from the spool. Most strimmers have something similar IME.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Ah, that's why it has tape round it maybe. I'll use scissors anyway. Thanks Andy.

Reply to
stuart noble

I have one and it's the line cutting blade.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Possibly shipping tape? Should just be metal in a plastic mount.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Cheers chaps. Beats the hell out of ringing Bosch. Don't worry, Robin. It's new! Seems like a good design compared to previous cheap strimmers I've used

Reply to
stuart noble

There is a blade there. The stripper will have some form of auto line feed and when the line extends beyond the diameter of the guard the blade will automatically cut it to the correct length. If the blade wasn't there the line would start cutting through the plastic guard.

There are many various ways auto line feed work. On my cordless the spinning up from stop feeds the line out by a small amount. I've had strimmers where bouncing the bottom of the spool on the ground allows the spool to feed a small amount of line out.

Reply to
alan_m

on 01/04/2018, stuart noble supposed :

It is a blade, to cut off the excess line when you have ejected so fresh line.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Many thanks. I think I get it now.

Reply to
stuart noble

These usually reside on the edge of the guard though, and the old B./D ones were always falling to bits. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It happens that Brian Gaff formulated :

They were poorly supported and the plastic would break and the mild steel blades would rust, become blunt and compound the strain on the plastic.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield