Any home brewers?

I've been brewing wine, happy with the results, i've been using empty plastic 2l water bottles but i've bought some spring top bottles and i'm wondering what to clean them with.

Sink full of water/steriliser and a brush, or a gadget?

Has anyone got an automatic bottle washer?

Reply to
R D S

If you use it with no-rinse sanitiser, it's quite a breeze.

p.s. not a great idea to keep wine or spirits in plastic. You'll have your arse handed to you by purists.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Aside from which, glass is better at keeping the wind from getting oxidised.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

True. But - and it's hard to fault the logic - we have thousands of years to know it's safe to store something as reactive as alcohol in glass. We don't have the same luxury with plastics.

That's before you consider mechanical factors like pressure, and secondary fermentation.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yeah, I stared with a kit that came with two large plastic tubs, which are quite cumbersome. Having read what I have since starting though I may move to smaller glass ones.

Reply to
R D S

Cider is readily sold in plastic lemonade style bottles though...

Reply to
John Rumm

On the Continent you used to be able to buy the cheapest wine in plastic bottles.

I assume that it wasn't intended to lay it down in a cellar for 10 years.

So if you intend to drink it soon, no issue with plastic.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

if I drink wine , beer or spirits straight from the bottle I still prefer a glass bottle :-D

Reply to
whisky-dave

And look at the people who drink cheap cider. :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley