Ants

I don't normally mind having ants in the garden, but this year there seem to be 10 times more thn normal! The garden is swarming with them.
I've tried putting down Nippon ant bait (the liquid type from sqeezy tubes) but there's no sign yet, after a week or so, of any fewer ants. A lot of the ants (there are at least 5 nests) don't seem interested in the Nippon at all.
Any ideas of other stuff to try..?
G.

You can buy a rather excellent spray - the can has a straw on it (like WD40) so you can direct it deep into the nest. It foams up and fills the next. I had 2 nests in the house and they seem to have gone (so far so good anyway...)
Scott

There do seem to be a lot of the little bleeders this year. You could try a teaspoon of Borax (from a chemist - it's used as a water softener) mixed with something sweet - honey, syrup etc. into a thick-ish paste. Put blobs of this where the ants are and they'll take it back to the nest. Where they die. Ha!
If you have animals then put it somewhere they can't get to it, obviously. I don't think it's *that* poisonous to animals but I dare say it won't do them any good.
Si
On 2 May 2004 19:41:18 GMT, G.W. Walker wrote:

I never had any success with sprays, but I found that "Bio Ant Kill Plus" powder (3.95 at the local garden centre) worked perfectly and the ants haven't returned after about a month.
--
Exiddor.

'Swarming' is a precise word and ants don't swarm.
What's your problem with ants?
Mary

lol... I think you'll find it's a 'figure of speech'.

I know, but it's not scientific.
Mary

This isn't a scientific Newsgroup, it's for DIYers. Not that the two things are mutually exclusive though!!
On Mon, 03 May 2004 07:50:20 GMT, "Mike Hibbert"

We have scientists and engineers here, and one or two artists as well :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

things
I guessed we probably did (being one myself!!?) which was why I put in my caveat.

... And a computer simulation
--
geoff

"geoff" wrote | >We have scientists and engineers here, and one or two artists | >as well :-) | ... And a computer simulation
Please, of what is IMM a computer simulation?
Owain

A sentient being ?
--
geoff

"geoff" wrote | >| >We have scientists and engineers here, and one or two artists | >| >as well :-) | >| ... And a computer simulation | >Please, of what is IMM a computer simulation? | A sentient being ?
I think the programmers are just approaching the Dougal from Father Ted level of simulated sentient being then.
(Wicked thoughts of Bill Gates and the Pope at the launch party for Microsoft Priest)
Owain

things
I should have explained more, it seems. Usenet is about communications, isn't it?
Effective communication is surely about precision, communication isn't effective unless precise words are used.
If someone talks about that thing on the wall with wires going to it, what does s/he mean? S/he knows but because it's imprecise the folk round here (i.e. on the DIY ng) won't be able to advise.
Mary
Mary

Are the wires going into the wall or coming out of the wall?!

Most wiring is generally not moving.

what
here
One goes in and one comes out. :-))
--
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Wasn't there an ant powder called Derris Dust? I seem to remember it was totally useless, hence the phrase "Ant & Derris" which referred to any useless product (later shortened to "Ant & Dec").
(sorry, but it is 5 a.m.)
&rew L.

only if you stick to the macro-level
--