ants in my junction boxes!

I have several junction boxes on posts in the woods. For some reason ants think they make great nests. They are pretty tightly sealed for weatherproofing, but the ants find a way in somehow.

Any suggestions for preventing this?

Reply to
Toller

Put a good dose of Amdro in the boxes and / or seal them better?

Reply to
Pete C.

ant eater?

Reply to
Don

Why? Are the ants using your power for lighting?

Reply to
HeyBub

Ants don't need much clearance for access. The question is, will they cause any harm? I can't answer that, by the way.

It might be that putting a few moth balls in each box would deter them for a long time?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Everything in the box kinda turns to mush. They must excrete something.

Reply to
Toller

Wow ... I am outta here, as they say, as this is beyond my knowledge.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Make sure the pipes coming in are sealed and don't stub one out underground without sealing it. Once you are sure they are not coming ion the raceways you can use a gasket grade silicone (autoparts store) to seal around the cover. That will seal it up but will still peel right off when you need to. Usually you do still need a small weep hole in the bottom but make it small. If you do want a chemical solution, a small amount of boric acid will make it an unattractive place.

Reply to
gfretwell

You might try terro ant gel and just routinely place a dab in the boxes for the ants to feed on. First though try it in a box that has activity to make sure they will feed on it. If they aren't attracted to the terro you may need to try to find a bait they will feed on. Insect dust should be safe to lightly dust in the junction boxes though very little would be needed.

It is possible for them to short out electrical boxes/timers when they get into them and not sure if placing moth balls would be ok...the fumes might cause chemical reaction to any wire insulation and then a short and I believe the fumes are considered to be flammable.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

Thoroughly seal/caulk where the line enters the enclosure. They are using the INSIDE of the conduit as their path into the box.

Especially when the soil is saturated, ants move into above-ground spaces. They diligently bring dirt with them to create a nest in the new space. This can cause trouble, deteriorate the poly insulation on the conductors and corrode connections.

I have seen the ENTIRE space inside a telephone pedestal FILLED (completely) with dirt - an entire ant colony had moved in - big time.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

These sure sound like fire ants! Been a big problem in Texas for about ten years. They will work their way into any electrical closure they can get into from ground level. I've opened closures that were a foot off the ground and were completely packed. The ants are aggressive and will bite everything when disturbed and cause puss nodules at every skin bite.

Nasty. I now carry ant killer, pop the cover, soak it if filled with ants. Come back a few hours later and dig the box out. The farm store has some good chems just for them. Don't let them get on you, just a few bites will really burn for days.

Last I heard they've made it north to about Kansas, not something to look forward to.

-larry \\ dallas

Reply to
larry

log onto

and buy liquid ant bait. That was the only stuff that got rid of my carpenter ants. The local pest control place offered my several sprayings at $175 per visit, but the ant bait did the job for reasonable price.

They love to send catalogs with coupons. So, if you buy a few the first time, then weeks later they are sending you "we want you back, 50% off any order" coupons.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I will give it a try; we also have a nasty ant problem in the cottage, but at least there they don't destroy anything.

Years ago I had ants in an apartment. I got rid of them by putting broken M&Ms on the floor, waiting 20 minutes, and vacuuming them up. Sounds odd, but worked.

Reply to
Toller

Damn! That's worse than ants on your piano.

Reply to
Jon

Jon wrote in news:Inzth.50663$oA1.30601 @newsfe19.lga:

It's all nature. Tulips on your organ is nice :-)

Dirty ol' Al...

Reply to
Al Bundy