Anti static trousers?

I'm getting fed up with a couple of pairs of my trousers, no matter what I do, whenever i wear them I get electocuted when I touch things like the bed base, the screws in an earthed bit of equipment, and even a filing cabinet. Is there some magic stuff one can put in the wash to stop this?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Never found any. Fabric conditioner works up to a point, depending on the fabric involved but doesn't seem to stop it completely.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Have mentioned before (and will probably do so again in future, be warned!), partner most definitely suffered lots of shocks when she was hypothyroid. Now treated, much, much better. To the point where it is a real surprise if she ever gets zapped at all.

Best approach we found was simply to try to ensure decent ventilation so you do not end up with a very dry indoor atmosphere.

Reply to
polygonum

What are they made of and what is your under wear made of? Are you sure it's only when those particular trousers, nothing else changing from normal as regards fabric.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You could try spraying them with WD40!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes tried the ventilation and even a few wet sponges on heaters but to no avail. I cannot see how the thyroid would make much difference. The effect according to another source is as much to do with shoes as trousers. Yes the trousers might start it but if one could arrange a better earth path, then it could never build up. Maybe I need to walk about with bare feet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Don't know what they are made of, No changes elsewhere, but its quite thick. The effect can happen even in the wash though, as these particular pairs can now only be washed on their own. anything else tends to leave fluff on the trousers which you can feel.

I think they are a mixture of man made and natural materials.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ah the new Fragrance. I might even get away with it in some circles. Incidentally beware contact cleaning spray in headphone sockets from the

70s, I managed to melt one the other day while attempting to clean it.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There are anti-static sprays for clothes e.g.

You can also buy anti-static clothing from work wear suppliers, although it tends to be functional, rather than stylish.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Sounds like a Wallace & Gromit film :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hang a wet towel over a radiator to increase humidity in the room.

Reply to
harry

Playing too much snooker Brian? "Graeme Dott receives a number of electric shocks from the table during his second round match against Shaun Murphy at the World Snooker Championship.

The 2006 world champion complained to the officials at The Crucible about the static electricity, leading to the floor being sprayed with water to combat the problem."

ARW

This has good antistatic properties:

It's obviously not functional, so it must be stylish, right?

Theo

PS: an interesting use of plumbing fittings in the image halfway down

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Probably best if you connect it to earth via a, say, 1 meg resistor :-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

On that theme, these would solve Brian's problem:

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

No he needs some earthing strips added to the backs...

Reply to
mogga