Something bleached my trousers

During last week, a few of what apparently look like drips of something got on my trousers in a couple of places and have apparently removed the navy blue colour noticeably. No idea what it might have been, as obviously Cannot see but I did move some cleaning products in a cupboard to try to find a bottle of washing up liquid. The question is are there any ways I might be able to re dye those bits to make them presentable, otherwise I guess its another new pair of trousers needed. I did wonder if there were kind of indelible marker inks that might be able to be put on the areas by a sighted person and survive being washed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Dylon do a whole range of fabric dyes that are easy to use and washproof. See

Chris Hogg

Hi Brian you can get fabric pens in may different colours these days - typically you iron over them at a high heat before washing. Children use them for T-shirt designs, etc.

They are a lot better than they used to be but tend to only come in (fairly expensive) sets, you might have trouble finding a single navy blue one. No idea how good the colour match will be. I assume the trousers are cotton or similar natural fabric?

Regards, Jon N

Reply to
jkn

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote on 20/04/2022 :

If they are small specks - would permanent marker cover them?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

What about just dyeing the trousers by soaking them overnight? Is there a fixer available? They used to say you should soak them in salt water..

Reply to
Scott

Often the problem with using such products is that they will change the colour if everything is a uniform colour in the first place. In this case if splashes of bleach have changed the original colour then after using the dye the lighter contaminated patches may still be seen.

Reply to
alan_m

Also, while the material may be cotton the stitching tread may be synthetic or a mix of materials and come out a different colour, that's if the tread will accept the dye at all.

Reply to
alan_m

That would be my approach, rather than the time and effort of mass dyeing.

As to the cause, sounds like traditional bleach to me.

Reply to
newshound

Pretend you are making a fashion statement, rip some holes in them too.

Reply to
R D S

R D S formulated on Wednesday :

and comb your hair so it sticks up vertically :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Would you not attempt to just do the area around the splashes, the small variation in saturation would not be seen unless you were up close, but the large contrast now is probably drawing the eye to the area. I'm not looking for perfection here. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes that has been suggested by somebody else. I guess I could just go down the Chessington World of Adventure and get the chimps there to dye them randomly, but there is no guarantee I'd get them back in one piece of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Donate them to the V&A. The "inside the museum" series on BBC2 suggests that they have a huge collection of celeb-donated tat.

Or use them for DIY /gardening, or chuck them out in a charity collection bag.

Reply to
Andrew

In message <t3ocrr$q4g$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, "Brian Gaff (Sofa)" snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk> writes

My wife had that problem recently, with a favourite pair of black around the house/walking the dog trousers, so she used a small pack of Dylon dye which cured the problem. Light spots, probably bleach splashes when cleaning a toilet.

Reply to
Graeme

It's easier with black tho.

Reply to
Jock

Even though I've had them through the wash since, my sighted friends are saying the area is still growing and turning pink around the edges. Maybe its the Aliens?

I did not clean the toilet with them on, I have a cleaner who does that or the carpet there would be in the same state by now.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa