Anti rust spray?

There's an anti rust coating for steel tools I vaguely remember is favoured by woodworkers as it does not contaminate wood.

Anyone recall what it is called?

I have more tools in the shed now and I need to coat them - last winter saw a thin layer of rust appear on some of them. I do not want anything oily or messy - something more like a thin wax coating in spray where the solvent dries off?

Reply to
Tim Watts

You may be thinking of Camelia Oil

Best to keep tools in a drawer if possible and cover with a piece of cotton cloth but there are a myriad solutions to this problem. Google is your friend.

Reply to
fred

Or maybe Boeshield?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I.M.E. Boeshield is excellent but is slightly more oily than Camelia oil.

A good solid car wax would also be effective or Liberon make a machine wax which I've also used successfully. Stay away from anything with Silicone in it as it may affect any finishes you apply later

Reply to
fred

Ah - that's the stuff!

Thanks fred.

Ideally - but right now I just have open shelves.

Next year when I get power out there, I might be able to leave a dehumidifier on a low setting (the shed has quite a well fitting door and is not full of holes). Most of the year the exposed wood in the shed and shelving seems to buffer the moisture - but during winder it's just too much and it condenses.

Reply to
Tim Watts

That is not what I recall people talking about - but it certainly fits the bill "T-9 dries to a clean, waxy, waterproof film" and "T-9 will not harm paint, plastic, rubber, fiberglass or vinyl. It can be used on engines, wiring and belts. T-9 is nonconductive and will not cause short circuits, so it?s also safe to use on electronics."

Not cheap - but I suspect a little goes a long way... Thanks too!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Indeed (re the silicone - last thing I wanted).

I've ordered a can to try. I suspect this will do nicely for things with hard to reach nooks. I keep my best tools indoors, but it would be nice if my basic stuff like screwdrivers, jigsaw and handsaws would survive better in the shed.

Reply to
Tim Watts

How would something like Waxoyl compare price wise? Can be removed with white spirit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Any chance that rust inhibitor paper might be useful?

Jeff Layman

WD40.

Reply to
harry

ACF50?

John

I've always wondered how that works - does it produce a vapour that condenses on the item?

Reply to
Tim Watts

That is what I use, on my lathe - it keeps it free of rust and there is a lot of surface to rust. Its in my unheated garage/workshop. I just give it a quick spray every autumn.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I use a microcrystalline wax called Cosmoloid H 80 dissolved in white spirits, brush/spray/dip and let dry. It's what restorers and archeologists use...

or

Postage may be prohibitive for you -- I paid around 4 Euros for 100 grams at the store, which is enough for 5 liters of solution. The protective film won't wipe off like camelia oil, is not visible, and lasts through use. No compatibility problems with any finish I have used, either.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Thank you - I'll bookmark that and see how the Boeshield performs...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I assume so. The usual term used is "Volatile corrosion inhibitor". "This is from

"The VCI forms an invisible protective film on metals which have been packaged. The VCI protective film disperses without a trace when the package is opened and the metal goods can be used immediately without any cleaning procedures."

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Indeed. It's the obvious thing to use!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

No - too messy... I've rejected that.

I do spray an oil mist on garden tools and that works fine sectaeurs, hedge cutters etc) but I don't want drills, screwdrivers and the like dripping with greasy gunk.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Before you spray them, just lay them on some old newspaper, some rags, or some kitchen tissue, then as you remove them, wipe off any serious excess. Or if you leave them for a day or two, the most volatile of the solvent will have evaporated anyway.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Seconded.

A mate introduced me to the stuff and it is very good indeed. He did the classic 'steel nail in a half jar of water' experiment and was amazed at the difference in protection ACF-50 offered over WD40 (his normal 'go-to' metal protector).

The unprotected nail was rusting very quickly, the WD40 treated one was rusting after a week or two but the ACF-50 protected one still wasn't rusting after weeks and weeks.

No connection etc.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m