anti-rust primer

is this stuff good?

or is hammerite better?

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

A primer thats well proven over 90 years is Rust Oleum Red Oxide primer with fish oil. I would go with a product not EPA reduced for air pollution regulations, meaning new Stuff, Rust Oleum is a standard quality product, bottom line is to follow instructions on the can ,that is clean and sand

Reply to
ransley

I guess not everyone reads other people's threads and are up to speed. :(

I should have been more clearer on its intended use.

this project is for the post-zinc removal of the shaped plates (see painting metal braces thread).

my intention is to spray paint the braces black.

I already bought the Krylon spray primer can last year for an outdoor furniture project I never got around to doing.

so this was the purpose of query Krylon spray can and its possible alternatives.

I'm not sure about Rust Oleum spray can. I've never used that type of product, but I've used Rust Oleum which I've hand painted on the outdoor furniture some years back.

Reply to
dilbert firestorm

rust-oleum dries very soft and is best used on surfaces that will never be subject to any mechanical abrasion. if this is going on a pickup truck I would try either hammerite or perhaps POR-15 (but if the latter, the metal should be sandblasted first, or else left to intentionally rust slightly before application - POR-15 needs some "tooth" to stick properly.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

rustoleum makes an epoxy spray can paint. it dries soft in the short term, but does eventually (after about a week) harden up and is very durable.

Reply to
chaniarts

The people who make chain link fences and gates use what's called zinc- rich primer where the welds have burned away the galvanizing. It is available in spray cans. Check at a real genuine paint store or industrial supply firm. It can be top coated any color and will outlast any other non zinc coating. RustOleum is a good second choice.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

There are many zinc rich primers - including zinc epoxy primers (corlar?)and zinc CHROMATE primer was more commonly used on aluminum than on steel - and is hard to get and somewhat dangerous to use because of the (i believe, covalent) chromium. The "cold galvanize" spray works pretty good but CAN be difficult to topcoat - needs to be COMPLETELY hardened before top-coating - as many will lift or wrinkle if shot with a highly volatile (hot) topcoat.

Reply to
clare