Ant killer

We have something of an ant problem inside at present. The house is a barn conversion and we have at least one nest under the floor (which is boards on battens over a concrete slab. I suspect the slab may have cracks in it, which allows the ants to establish under the floor.)

Can anyone recommend a systemic poison that we can lay which the ants will carry back into the nest and destroy it? We can kill the ones that roam into the house with conventional contact insecticides, but they just keep coming.

Reply to
Huge

Nippon

Reply to
newshound

Which one? The powder is just a permethrin based contact insecticide. And we've been squirting it down the holes to no long-term avail.

Reply to
Huge

Borax. Unlike others it's not dangerous to pets.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

borax and icing sugar

Reply to
alan_m

+1
Chris Hogg

Nippon gel is supposed to do that. I have used it with some success (though it's hard to be sure whether it was the gel that worked or pot luck).

Reply to
Tim Watts

We've used that - it works.

Reply to
S Viemeister

+1 mixed with icing sugar even better
Reply to
Bob Minchin

Yes.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I read/watched something where someone said they used aspartame sweetener mixed with a good food source, or even sauce?.

This link is a test of the many sweeteners. What the ants won't eat is what you feed them. However, it needs to be mixed with something they do like.

This chap gives a good idea of what it is you need to attack, ie the queen.

RayL12