Another stab at the FAQ

Couple of comments...

1) "bits" for routers are more properly referred to as cutters, I believe.

2) in the Must Have section, I'd put a locking switch (essential if you have any plan to mount the router in a table). I'd say it ought to be capable of being operated whilst both your hands are holding the tool.

3) in the collet size section it ought to be mentioned that the largest size cutters are not available for 1/4" or 6mm routers, and perhaps that 1/4" and 1/2" have the largest range of cutters available compared to 6/8mm.

4) More than most other power tools I'd be inclined to include a safety section - accidents involving routers are not uncommon with woodworkers, and they probably represent a much less obvious danger than tools such as circular saws. Accidents can happen extremely quickly, often a result of the cutter (rotating at anything up to 30,000rpm) grabbing the workpiece, or feeding stock into a table mounted router the wrong way. I'd say that resperatory protection is a must.

5) finally, what are the alternatives to a router? I'm hoping that Jacob is reading this, because he's challenged the "gotta have a router" position in the past, and it might be quite informative to see what common router tasks can be achieved with hand-tools. If the reader only needs the router for one of these tasks then they might decide that the router is not an essential item for them.
Reply to
RichardS

I was responding to your SDS paragraph. Yes, the hammer mechanism is totally different.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

In the case of the cam arangement used on a conventional hammer drill then "sawtooth wave" would be the closest approximation. Square would have the problem of being a rotation lock however!

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes I think you are right... (you know how when you type something and get the feeling there is something not quite right, but can't quite put your finger on it...)

Yes good point.... was forgetting the H&S people had managed to to get their oar in there as well ;-)

Yes also a good point, particularly when you have the beastie table mounted.

Yup interesting angle. The reality is that a good many tasks could be performed by other means. The obvious replacement in many cases being a shaper or spindle moulder (although I susspect that was not in keeping with the thrust of your point ;-).

But tasks like rounding over (plane and some abrasive paper), Mortising (chisel, mortiser, drill press) and many others will have an alternative solution.

Reply to
John Rumm

OK new version up, with these comments in...

Not done much with this one yet, seems it might be a bit beyond the scope of the exercise...

Reply to
John Rumm

John,

just read through it again - looks good to me.

only one minor thing I'd be inclined to change in the opening paragraphs:

"A router holds a router bit "...

I would change to

"A router holds a router bit (a "cutter")"...

Think you did a good job with the safety section - strikes the right balance for me, given the anticipated audience.

Reply to
RichardS

I want one of those! Anything that disrupts EastEnders is a great service to society.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Yup I would go along with that ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Nice Idea, I like that... ok done! ;-)

I was wondering if I was being a tad melodramatic! Some of the comments are more appropriate for table mounter routers than hand held.

Reply to
John Rumm

I think I must be getting slow ;-)

I read that last night and thought what has an internet gateway protocol go to do with a FAQ on routers...!

(think someone ought to start a campaign for a new word for the wood chomping variety)

Reply to
John Rumm

yes I think so too. Let em cut em off.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Err - wrong bit old fruit - I did part 4 - it was part 5 the "alternatives to a router" suggestion that I had not done. (safety section is already in place, if you care to review).

Reply to
John Rumm

went to the same address, but found no new material, and no mention of any safety section. Where have you put it?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Either you've gone to the wrong address or check your browser caching settings...

you're sitting behind an ISPs silent caching proxy)

ctrl-refresh the page

Safety section is definitely there.

Reply to
RichardS

cheers, got it.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Oh - I only just found where this extension to John's Tools FAQ was hidden. I'm afraid I can't keep up with everything in the ng so rely on my watch list to pick up subject with "FAQ" and the like in them. It's not that I was ignoring you :-)

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Sorry about that... got fed up writing draft FAQ each time for a subject line!

Tis OK did not think you were....

Since comments on this seem to have ceased, do you want to snaffle a copy for hacking about into the FAQ proper? (I can email it if you prefer).

(I used the saem CSS as the FAQ proper, so hopefully you should not need to do too much work to get it into shape).

Guess we will need some place holders for the other tool sections at the end. I may have some time in a couple of weeks to do another couple.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ok, I'll take a copy after easter.