An interesting article about the history of the '486' cpu

Wasn't there also a bunfight about the OS ? You could ship the hardware, but not with a working OS ?

Kids today wouldn't believe you. This was the era when PGP was exported as a paper file to be re-input (or OCRd) outside the US.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

ISTR it being printed on tee-shirts too.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Are you confusing with DeCSS ... from wipipedia ...

"In protest against legislation that prohibits publication of copy protection circumvention code in countries that implement the WIPO Copyright Treaty (such as the United States' Digital Millennium Copyright Act), some have devised clever ways of distributing descriptions of the DeCSS algorithm, such as through steganography, through various Internet protocols, on T-shirts and in dramatic readings, as MIDI files, as a haiku poem (DeCSS haiku),[8][9] and even as a so-called illegal prime number.[10]"

Reply to
Jim Jackson

I've had to check, as I was working from memory. I was sort of right. The tee-shirts were about RSA encryption, which was one of the methods used by PGP.

Reply to
Steve Walker