Aluminium soldering - which type of flux?

I need to fill a small hole in an aluminium engine casing. I have found some aluminium solder at Screwfix Direct. What sort of flux should I use when aluminium-soldering? Where can I obtain a small amount?

Thank you..

Al D

Reply to
Al D

PS

Or... where can I obtain a short length of flux-cored aluminium solder?

Thanks

Al D

Reply to
Al D

A better answer would be something like JB Weld

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

no that wont work. Al is oxide coated, so one has to apply heat & flux, then scrape the surface off under the flux before soldering is possible.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

tap/die/bolt easier.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

|On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:05:38 +0100, Al D wrote: | |PS | |Or... where can I obtain a short length of flux-cored aluminium |solder?

I have a sample which I conned out of a salesman 25 years ago, and has been in my toolbox ever since, because "I may need it sometime" I doubt I will ever use it now. It is Alu-sol Multicore Type 45D 14SWG. about a foot long.

Work out my email address and I will post it to you. Put "solder" in subject line to foil my spam traps.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

|Al D wrote: |> On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 19:05:38 +0100, Al D wrote: |>

|> PS |>

|> Or... where can I obtain a short length of flux-cored aluminium |> solder? |>

|> Thanks |>

|> Al D | |no that wont work. Al is oxide coated, so one has to apply heat & flux, |then scrape the surface off under the flux before soldering is |possible.

Reading the instructions which came with the stuff I offered.

I never used it, but rumour was that the flux was **STRONG**

larger heat source than usual. Aluminium itself must be heated until solder flows easily. Do not inhale fumes excessively

It is still in production google for alusol 45D

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Good suggestion - but not possible in this case due to lack of space on the interior of the casing. It's hard to explain the details.

Cheers,

Al D

Reply to
Al D

None as It wont work, you need low temp alloy brasing rods

DO try to find them somewhere cheaper then Frost !

-
Reply to
Mark

I have had good success with Carrs aluminium flux.

I got mine from a model railway shop in Raynes Park, SW19..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Take that bit seriously. They are vile and lead to several days of illness.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher