Aluminium elements

Elsewhere, someone has just claimed that fan-assisted ovens have aluminium elements. My immediate reaction was "Of course they don't". But then I realised that I really don't know what the elements are made from.

So - what is the outer casing of typical electric elements such as these made from? Could any be made from aluminium? Maybe there is even some sort of "heatsink" (can't think what else they'd be called - so terminology from a PC seems reasonable!) that isn't the element itself.

Reply to
polygonum

Graham.

polygonum formulated on Saturday :

A stainless steel alloy tube with magnesium oxide as the insulator.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The element yes, but not the outer tube.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

resistance wire: nichrome insulation: Mg oxide jacket: steel/alloys

they run upto red hot, so cant be ali

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Sheath is normally austenitic stainless steel AFAIK.

Reply to
newshound

Thank you all.

Reply to
polygonum

Ones that are designed to run under water (not oven ones;-) are sometimes copper, sometimes with a plating.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

he said 'outer casing' not 'the wire inside'

Typically they used to be steel or copper. Steel is cheap, copper conducts heat better, but is monumentally expensive these days, so aluminium could be what's in play.

Inside that will be some form of refractory cement as an insulator, and inside that the nichrome element..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I seem to remember at least one kettle element that looked like copper when it was descaled. But that was a long time ago.

Reply to
polygonum

I guess it depends on the heat required as ally tends to burn, well oxidise very fast at least. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The outer case is commonly copper, steel, stainless steel, brass, bronze. Depends on operating temperature and environment.

Never heard of aluminium being used, though I suppose it's possible. If the fan packed in, I think the element would overheat and melt pretty quick.

Reply to
harryagain