Alternative to Worcester-Bosch 30CDi?

Hi

We need a new system boiler for our solid-walled detached house. We have 12 rads, a closed system, with a hot water cylinder (1 bath + 1 shower) on the system. We need a system boiler. It will replace a Vokera 20kW boiler, which I believed was underpowered. The plumber has said that 30kW should be ample. Does that sound ok?

The plumber has recommended the Worcester-Bosch 30CDi. I guess one can't go wrong buying a WB, but did see another thread mention that Vaillant are better.

Would anyone like to recommend a better system boiler than the Worcester-Bosch 30CDi, in the same order of price?

Any comments appreciated.

David

Reply to
DavidA

I had one fitted about 2 months ago; again essentially at the recommendation of the engineer (who I do trust). My own thoughts on the choice were similar to yours.

You might want to look at my thread "Cold house..." the other day; however to be fair I don't think my issue has anything to do with the boiler, other than *possibly* its sizing?

As regards Vaillant... well, personally, from a sample of 1, I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole, as my W-B replaces a Vaillant condensing system boiler only about 7 years old and written off as uneconomic to repair.

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , DavidA writes

WB is what most fitters would suggest - they don't want to get called back to an in warranty breakdown, and WB support is good

They are a good basic boiler, Vaillant are good and more expensive

At the end of the day, it could break down at any time,

I have a WB

Reply to
geoff

Again, from a sample of 1, I would never have another Vaillant.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Ah - but then, my vaillant lasted for over 20 years with only a couple of minor faults - removed it as a working boiler

As someone who sees the picture from the other side, I don't get many vaillant fans and pcbs coming in for repair

Reply to
geoff

Thanks for all your comments,

David

Reply to
DavidA

W-B tech phone support - if you need it - is generally OK.

Vaillant is, IME, abysmal. Last time I tried I spent 40 minutes on hold being told how valuable my call was to them and gave up because my mobile's battery was going flat. Their customer support people (non-technical) actually told me the best way to contact the tech support folks is to send them an email and they'll call me back. To be fair they did, but it's as much use as a chocolate teapot if you're at a customer's place trying to get advice on fixing their damn' boiler and charging the customer by the hour for it.

Reply to
YAPH