Alternative thread sealants (Plumbing)

I noticed in Screwfix there are a couple of new (to me) products for thread sealing, so is ptfe tape obsolete? Has anyone used any of these products, i.e. Loctite55 pipe seal cord. Pipe Sealant, and how good are they? Tom

Reply to
Tom

In article , Tom writes

I've used Dow Corning 'Plumba Thread' which looks like the same sort of thing as Screwfix pipe seal. The day I used it the ptfe tape hit the bin, very quick and easy to use & no leaks. Data sheet says ok for water & gas.

Reply to
fred

I've used Fernox sealer on a variety of materials and found it very good. Expensive, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Tom" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@despina.uk.clara.net:

I used the Fernox jollop in a tube for my last effort - excellent stuff. I sealed the thermostat well the boster pump and the immersion heater with it and nothing else.

I didn't really think it would work, but it did, and getting a seal with tape etc used to be a very iffy procedure for me

mike

Reply to
mike ring

I bought some US manufactured water treatment equipment which specified the use of this and specifically said that PTFE tape wasn't recommended.

So I used both :-)

Reply to
G&M