ALLERGIC REACTION TO LOFT INSULATION

It is only irritant if handled or mechanically disturbed. You may have seen the installers wearing masks and overalls while they were working with the stuff. Your "problem" was unfortunately an extreme reaction to handling it unprotected - I don't like handling it either :-). Maybe the installers should have shown you the manufacturers instructions, or mentioned it's a bit itchy.

There is however no problem once its installed and the dust has settled. If you are going to be in contact with it again (say, by going up to the loft and storing things) either quit and send someone else, wear disposable gloves or initally wash your hands/body with cold water to disperse the fibres. Hot water first is bad news, your pores open up and the irritant gets in. Not a recognized long term medical issue though.

I wouldn't bother ripping it all out now!!

By the way, you are coming across here as an screaming mad sectionable person with all the UPPER CASE shouting in your posting title and content? Are you? :-)

-- Adrian C

Reply to
Adrian C

No.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Depends upon whether you feel the large cost would be worth it.

It isn't hazardous at all but it isn't particularly easy and would fill your house with fibreglass particles.

If you wanted to ensure few fibres escaped during the process then you would have to commission work similar to that used for removal of blown asbestos insulation and that would be very expensive (several thousand pounds).

Depends upon the depth laid, modern insulation standards call for insulation depths greater than the joist depth so insulation rolls are often laid between joists and a second layer added over that at right angles to the first.

Reply to
Peter Parry

That probably depends on whether you are using the term allergy in a strict and technical sense. If you are referring only to IgE mediated hypersensitivity, then I think you are right - an allergy can only be cause by a protein.

Aspirin, however, is not a protein, and people speak of being allergic to aspirin.

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

As you say allergies can only be caused by a protein. Certain medicines and radiocontrast dyes can induce sensitivity reactions and in some cases an anaphylactoid reaction which is treated similarly to an anaphylactic reaction.

Non protein sensitivities cannot however produce allergic sensitisation and one cannot be allergic to fibreglass which is essentially inert.

Indeed, but it does not make it true. I know someone who claims to be highly allergic to Asprin yet will eat Camembert Cheese by the pound. In particular most sensitivities do not involve an allergic reaction and specifically anaphylactic reaction.

The difference can be quite important, I once had to stop a well meaning lady trying to inject an Epipen she carried for her own peanut allergy into a young girl having a hysterical fit because she had caught a whiff of floor polish which she was "allergic to" that week.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I'm not sure you're right on this...but then again I'm not sure I'm right either :-)

It would appear that hypersensitivity to penicillin is a type 1 hypersensitivity mediated by IgE. Penicillin is certainly not a protein as the structure is far too simple:

at the picture)

This article discusses allergic responses to penicillin and states that the response is mediated by IgE and can cause anaphylaxis:

Mr Fizzion

Thank you Adrian I am not sectionable - not yet - but quite mad about the decision to get the insulation done. I should have asked more questions, then they would have told me what work would be involved, what material used and perhaps they would also have mentioned that the loft would become unusable.

I am grateful for all the advice give on this topic. Jo+

Reply to
johunt

You should be feeling better by now. If you washed in hot water you probably enhanced the itching. It are splinters wots adoin of it. Going up there in high summer made the spicules stick to you. It cuts like (wait for it. Wait for it!) Glass.

You won't have noticed it until ages after. Then you'd have been scratching like you had fleas.

You are very unlikely to make that mistake again.

I forgot about the pink stuff. I suppose it all depends where you buy it from.

If you ever have to go in the loft again just wear an old pair of undies then bin them and have a cold shower or bath when you get down.

Once the dust settles, there will be almost no bad effects. If you insist on going up there often, cover the attic with hardboard or some-such.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

When my house was modernised back in 1981 they use Rockwool that was very floppy, no strength of its own. This stuff always went for my throat. I've recently done a big conversion and in the stud walls I used Sheffiled Insulation RockWool Slab. This is very stiff and can be cut with a Bread knife very easily. This stuff has no effect on me. The very latest stuff I bought is called Rock Silk by Knauf Insulations. I still bought it from Sheffield Insulations. First load was 100mm thick second load I bought 75mm.

Chris

x-- 100 Proof News -

30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Reply to
Chris McBrien

Not as such.

If you handle it you will get loads of tiny glass splinters in your skin. You now know what that feels like.

If you move it about you will get loads of them airborne. Inhale them and you get the same effect as you felt on your skin in your trachea and lungs.

Once it is down, you will no longer need to handle it.

The dust will settle out, and after than there should be no further problem if you leave it undisturbed.

Can't see why not. May be a bit tricky if you have covered up all the ceiling joists so you can't see them.

Leave it alone, and you will probably be fine. The adverse affects are only a result of contact with the fibres. It is pretty inert, and also offers good fire resistance. It does not hold moisture, or support insect or mould growth. If you are worried then board over it. You will loose a little of the thermal performance but not much. You will also gain more useful storage space.

Phrases like "Tons of filthy, rotting fibreglass insulation" are emotive, and also make little sense (rot is not something it does in a hurry). Calling it a "replacement for asbestos" is also a little wide of the mark.

Reply to
John Rumm

It is also a great way to spend money getting things tested. I doubt the trigger-happy USA would still have glass fibre installers if there was a reasonable chance for someone there to sue them.*

Then I got a pop up in Firefox from the visit : (

Time to kill this troll folks.

*They still have a thriving tobacco industry though.
Reply to
Michael Mcneil

What's dilute H2O?

I found that rockwool is worse (for me) to touch than fibre glass. I mean I'm more sesitive too it. Years ago when I put FG down in our loft (unsavoury bit comming up). when I blew my nose the stuff was black! I always wear a mask if I go up there now and suggest you do. It is more difficult to breath I know - but take regular breaks to get some fresh air. I wonder if those "forensic" style overalls are available cheaply somewhere. Ordinary overalls I find way too thick for comfortable working in a hot loftspace, My 2p's worth anyway.

Reply to
dave

Dilute Hydric acid, nasty stuff - see

Peter Parry

Perhaps chemistry's changed since I worked in a lab :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Search ebay for (disposable,tyvek) in business/office/industrial:

Item no 7538180280 - 25 clean room overalls for £65, new seller no feedback

Item no 7537382361 - £3.50 (£5.00 incl P&P)

Item no 7539458887 - £2 each incl P&P, 26 available

Item no 7539655625 - £4.49 incl P&P, 5 available

Item no 7539460120 - £1 each + postage, 200 available

(no connection with / experience of any of the sellers)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

1.20 each (plus VAT) in a variety of sizes from CPC. Search for 'body protector'.

(but we call them 'SOCO suits' !)

Reply to
Bob Eager

A good end to the week :o) I particularly liked "a major component of acid rain".

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Try sprayed on insulation.

-- Chantel

Reply to
Chantel

replying to johunt, Kerry lady wrote: Yeah my face got red and itchy and I got a sore throat for a few days when the loft was insulated at work. horrible! It doesn't bother me now though but I ask them to warn me whenever they have to take off ceiling tiles.

Reply to
Kerry lady

I think after 12 years Mr Hunt will be over this.

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just enough text of the original to give a context.

Reply to
Fredxxx