White itch free fibreglass loft insulation

I remember about 15 years ago seeing a loft insulation in B&Q that was advertised as itch free fibreglass, it was wrapped in a translucent pink covering, and it said that the fibreglass was made from long spiral fibres, it was a soft while insulation like cotton wool. Its seemed like good stuff and I thought if I ever needed to insulate a loft I would use this. Now, years later I have moved and need to insulate my loft, but cannot find anything like this insulation I once saw. Does anyone remember this insulation, or know if it is still avaliable?

Reply to
Julian

Does it have to be fibreglass? There's a very acceptable fibrous insulation made from old pop bottles. Costs a (small) bit more, but doesn't itch and does the job very nicely. Cares no more about damp and infestation than glass does.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Absolute pig to cut!

Somebody donated me a part roll. I keep meaning to test if it burns.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If it's PET it *will* burn, but it's reluctant, it tends to shrink away from flames.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I just pulled it apart. Never thought to cut it.

Reply to
Skipweasel

If I have a tall roll and need to fit it between joists, I cut it with a handsaw while it's still tightly rolled - works nicely.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I was thinking about using the loft insulation made from plastic bottles, but wasn't sure abouts its fire resistance. I read somewhere that there is a green colored plastic bottle insulation thats easier to cut?

Reply to
Julian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember harry saying something like:

Having been exposed to some right old fibreglass insulation which had deteriorated to nearly dust, I can tell you it's a breath stealer before you can get the mask on. I'd not be at all surprised if it turns out to be as big a threat as the properly dangerous asbestos shit. Thank f*ck I don't do that anymore.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon