All Done by Electricity 1968

You have not seen my loft....

4 multiswitches with 5 quattro lnbs powered from them 2 off Netgear 48 port switches 4 masthead amplifiers 4 televes avant 5's 8 NASes Virgin media router Smooth wall Pihole Several APC UPSes

Etc. Etc.

Reply to
stephenten

Well with all the laptops, phone chargers, tablet chargers, computers, NASes, televisions, dvd players, PVRs etc all using Switch mode PSUs, once you add up all their leakage currents, you will be well over 10mA....

Reply to
stephenten

Yes, all 3-pin sockets have to be able to supply the full 13 A in case an appliance with the maximum allowed power is plugged in. You can't have sockets that are physically capable of accepting a high power appliance but which cannot supply it without the cables heating up: even if you label the socket "low power devices only", someone will ignore it.

Reply to
NY

Its the area per room added together.

So they would be very small rooms.

Reply to
dennis

BUT, you could feed such a socket off a fused spur where the fuse in the spur is, say. 5A. Yes, I know it could be repaced by a bigger one, but that's silly.

Reply to
charles

I wasn't suggesting anything lower than 20A

Reply to
Andy Burns

But that wont work with more than one fan heater per spur.

Reply to
Swer

In practice, a 20A MCB will allow two 3kW heaters per circuit more or less indefinitely, especially if they're cycling independently on their thermostats, and assuming you don't live in a gaping barn.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Shame that it can also overheat if you plug all the appliances at one end and that the householder doesn't usually know the rule or where the cables run.

But enough of that lets put brexit into the thread!

Reply to
dennis

And it doesn't matter if they are both at one end of a ring with a 20A breaker.

Reply to
dennis

With all that kit in the loft, all he needs is some ducting to circulate the heat around the house, surely ?.

Reply to
Andrew

They are unlikely to be cycling if you are using them as a workaround while the boiler gets fixed.

Reply to
Swer

A 3kW fan heater used in my uninsulated garage reaches equilibrium in a reasonable time.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Brian Gaff presented the following explanation :

You bought the replacement lamps by describing the base and the total number of lamps in the set. I guess they were all the same wattage, just the intended voltage which varied.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Perhaps he has one of those 4.5 kW audio systems that was discussed earlier (perhaps in uk.rec.audio)

Reply to
newshound

By which time the plug emits as much heat as the fire :-)

Reply to
Andrew

In article snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net scribeth thus

How do they cope on very hot days like when its 30 odd outside?..

Reply to
tony sayer

The Netgear switch did hang when the temperature got excessive.

The symptom was that the even numbered ports just "froze" with the activity lights permanently on.

I got a uprated fan kit and fitted that and the problem went away. Even in the hottest day of the year a week or so ago, all the kit in the loft was fine.

However, when I bought the televes Avant 5's, two of them failed soon after where the power led started flashing.

Googling for common faults revealed that a single 16uF electrolytic cap was prone to drying out and going high ESR and they were rated to 85 Deg C within the power supply section.

So I got a pack of Panasonic FM series 105 degree extra low ESR capacitors and replaced the problem prone capacitor on all 4 televes avants.

Not had any more problems since.

Reply to
stephenten