All Done by Electricity 1968

wrote:

Yes, all 3-pin sockets have to be able to supply the full 13 A in case an appliance with the maximum allowed power is plugged in. You can't have sockets that are physically capable of accepting a high power appliance but which cannot supply it without the cables heating up: even if you label the socket "low power devices only", someone will ignore it.

BUT, you could feed such a socket off a fused spur where the fuse in the spur is, say. 5A. Yes, I know it could be repaced by a bigger one, but that's silly.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
NY wrote:

I wasn't suggesting anything lower than 20A

But that wont work with more than one fan heater per spur.
Swer wrote:

In practice, a 20A MCB will allow two 3kW heaters per circuit more or less indefinitely, especially if they're cycling independently on their thermostats, and assuming you don't live in a gaping barn.
On 31/07/2019 11:48, Andy Burns wrote:

And it doesn't matter if they are both at one end of a ring with a 20A breaker.
On 31/07/2019 11:48, Andy Burns wrote:

With all that kit in the loft, all he needs is some ducting to circulate the heat around the house, surely ?.

They are unlikely to be cycling if you are using them as a workaround while the boiler gets fixed.
Swer wrote:

A 3kW fan heater used in my uninsulated garage reaches equilibrium in a reasonable time.
On 31/07/2019 18:28, Andy Burns wrote:

By which time the plug emits as much heat as the fire :-)
On 31/07/2019 09:43, NY wrote:

Shame that it can also overheat if you plug all the appliances at one end and that the householder doesn't usually know the rule or where the cables run.
But enough of that lets put brexit into the thread!
On 31/07/2019 01:07, Swer wrote:

Perhaps he has one of those 4.5 kW audio systems that was discussed earlier (perhaps in uk.rec.audio)

Well with all the laptops, phone chargers, tablet chargers, computers, NASes, televisions, dvd players, PVRs etc all using Switch mode PSUs, once you add up all their leakage currents, you will be well over 10mA....
On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 21:15:33 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

This reminded me of something I saw today.
Q. Is there anything you did when you were young that you would consider too dangerous today?
A. I wrote to Jim'll Fix It.
Ha ha, I will drag this back on topic but before I do, would one get away with Billy Connolly's song In the Brownies after recent revelations? So back on topic. I have to say that to my shame up stairs in a four way socket bar is a wall wart of the 2 pin shaver plug type which I managed to get into the two live terminals of the 13amp socket by pushing the shutter open with a screwdriver in the earth hole. Ahem. I'm sure in the past many people used wires wedged into 5 amp sockets just to test the device of course. I also had a tap output from a live chassis TV by using a small isolating transformer and earthing the live chassis on the other side. Brian
--
----- --
On 29/07/2019 21:56, Bob Eager wrote:

I was watching Gloria Honey**** on BBC1 at 11AM presenting a progam on how to live longer.
They were asking a group of Centenians what they did to get to that ripe old age and one old bloke said 'Avoid Turnip like the plague'.
Indeed.
On Monday, 29 July 2019 20:30:48 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

I can remember installing such stuff.
Does anyone I Remember those weird connectors on vacuum cleaners with two pins and if you were lucky and earthed strap on the sides that connected to springs on the inside of the socket which had the pins. These were always working loose and getting hot and sparking and it was quite common to see them held together with tape and the sockets mended with araldite. It seems we did not really take electrical safety very seriously back then. It was not that long ago that electric lawn mowers had isolator cut outs on the house end of their cables. I still have on in a drawer. Both my sheds nearly always had some 2 pin plugs, very handy with those plugs that you just poked the wires under loops and did the lid up to clamp them. Brian
--
----- --
Brian Gaff presented the following explanation :

I well remember those two pin plugs - like a brass split pin, for the contact pins. You just stuck the bared wire through the top loop and the tightening of the threaded cover, forced the 'split pins' tight onto the bared wires. I also kept a 5amp socket and such a plug in my workshop for years, as a quick connect. Then along came those made for the quick connect job things - three clips (L+N+E) mounted in a plastic body, fused, where contact to the supply was only made as the lid was closed up.
On Tuesday, 30 July 2019 09:15:17 UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com wrote:

lamp

for some vague value of tight. Clix plugs etc. At least the nylon ones grip ped better than the bakelite did. And no cord grip or earth.
Scarier were the IDC mains plugs. Each plug pin had a prong on its side, an d moving them from splayed out to operating position skewered the mains fle x. But there was nothing firm about it, the connection was I'm sure abysmal . I don't recall the name of those ones.
NT