All Done by Electricity 1968

when we got our first house in 1964, it had had a 1946 rewire: 4 15A power points (one in each bedrooom and one in the kitchen). There was also a 2 pin 5 A socket in the sitting room. That was it.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
charles formulated on Monday :

Luxury..
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

indeeed, The house cost £4000!
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
On Monday, 29 July 2019 22:54:59 UTC+1, charles wrote:

I bought a house in 1970 for £400.
And in my recently rewired house, there are:
10 doubles in dining room
6 doubles in lounge
5 doubles in kitchen plus 3 fused spurs for kitchen appliances
All of the 5 bedrooms have 5 or 6 doubles....
Not only that, all rooms now have between 3 to 4 multimedia plates comprising of Freesat, Freeview, FM, DAB, telephone, networking, cable TV, and proper foreign satellite.....
On 30/07/2019 08:17, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

Isn't there a limit on the number of sockets allowed on a ring main, or is it just the area served ?.
Andrew wrote on 30/07/2019 :

Area..
On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 17:47:14 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:

Is there not also a limit on length?
I thought so too particularly with:
1. Ensuring that voltage drop along L and N was less than 4% of supply voltage at maximum design current of the ring final circuit at the furthest most socket to the RCD/RCBO.
2. achieving below a maximum earth loop impedance to guarantee the required trip performance of the RCD or RCBO.
I have never seen a stated limit on the cable length, only on area.
As there is no stated limit on volume, in theory you could have a ten story house with a footprint of 100m2 and wire all ten rooms sockets all on one ring main(!).
Hopefully Adam will be along to comment further.....
On 30/07/2019 23:08, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

I have always presumed that the area of each floor served was added up, not just the single footprint.
SteveW
On 30/07/2019 23:08, snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

Its the area per room added together.
So they would be very small rooms.
Well I do have six ring mains in this house....
Kitchen and utility Lounge and master bedroom Dining room and bedroom above it 3rd reception room and dormer bedroom and office Loft sockets Outside sockets.
I don't think there is a limit on the number of sockets on a ring main, but I think there is a maximum area limit of 100m2.
In any case, you do have to think about the prospective loads on the ring main which is why there is a ring main dedicated to the kitchen and utility room.
The outside sockets are on their own RCBO so that if anything happens outside, it does not affect anything in the house.
The loft ring main is on account of the computer equipment and TV/radio headend & multiswitches.
snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

With that many rings, serving one or two rooms each, is there an argument to just make them radials instead?
The rings also support high integrity earthing and the sockets have two earth terminals each... This precludes the use of a radial.....
And not only that, a radial is only rated to 20a whereas a ring main is rated to 32a which is a better choice for high load areas like a kitchen or the loft it and headend/multiswitches
snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net wrote:

I could understand either a 32A ring (or 4mm^2 radial) for kitchen/utility, but high current for TV kit?
I thought high integrity earthing was only required where multiple appliances with greater than 10mA leakage were expected?

Could be useful for emergency fan heaters on boiler failure.

You have not seen my loft....
4 multiswitches with 5 quattro lnbs powered from them 2 off Netgear 48 port switches 4 masthead amplifiers 4 televes avant 5's 8 NASes Virgin media router Smooth wall Pihole Several APC UPSes
Etc. Etc.
snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net scribeth thus

How do they cope on very hot days like when its 30 odd outside?..
--
Tony Sayer

The Netgear switch did hang when the temperature got excessive.
The symptom was that the even numbered ports just "froze" with the activity lights permanently on.
I got a uprated fan kit and fitted that and the problem went away. Even in the hottest day of the year a week or so ago, all the kit in the loft was fine.
However, when I bought the televes Avant 5's, two of them failed soon after where the power led started flashing.
Googling for common faults revealed that a single 16uF electrolytic cap was prone to drying out and going high ESR and they were rated to 85 Deg C within the power supply section.
So I got a pack of Panasonic FM series 105 degree extra low ESR capacitors and replaced the problem prone capacitor on all 4 televes avants.
Not had any more problems since.