All Done by Electricity 1968

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/3061
just been shown on Talking Pictures.
Some nice old fuseboards, modern 3 pin plugs, and a gentleman gets electrocuted in the bath while his wife does the ironing.
Owain
On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 12:30:46 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Fascinating. I know some people that could learn from it !!!
Kind of reminds me of the Iron my granny bought from Arding and Hobbs, it had a bayonet plug like the end of a light bulb and the instructions showed it plugged into the overhead light in a kitchen. Do not remember the make now, but can you imagine the uproar if one tried this today? Brian
--
----- --

I can remember my grandma having an iron with a bayonet fitting. She had an "extension bayonet" fitting with a male end that plugged into the existing pendant light fitting, and then straight-through female end for the light bulb and another female end at 45 degrees for the iron.
https://www.flameport.com/electric_museum/bayonet_BS52/BEEKA_double_BS52_adaptor.cs4 shows what I mean. until I saw the illustration, I'd forgotten that it included a switch for *one* of the outlets (just the light bulb, with the iron being unswitched). Looks as if it's made of genuine Bakelite, as well ;-)
Yes even in the 1970s you could by fairy lights all wired in series across the mains, usually 20 bulbs with one fusible bulb which had bayonet connector on one end. Highly lethal, no double insulated wires and the sockets were just in hard plastic mouldings. Brian
--
----- --
On Tuesday, 30 July 2019 07:42:08 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:

We had them in kindergarten. Every Christmas we added to the effect by making little paper lanterns to fit over the hot filament bulbs.

We also had a squirrel in a cage in the classroom and were told not to put our fingers through the wire.
Owain
Brian Gaff pretended :

I still see lots of those lethal sets around. I saw some for sale last week on a second hand stall in a market.
Still got some and much later than 70s - and no-one has been killed so perhaps you meant potentially lethal.

--
bert

Brian Gaff presented the following explanation :

You bought the replacement lamps by describing the base and the total number of lamps in the set. I guess they were all the same wattage, just the intended voltage which varied.
On 29/07/2019 21:38, NY wrote:

I still have one of those useful adapters in my box of electrical oddd'n'ends. The 45 degree spur also has an on-off switch, for 'safety'.
Brian Gaff explained :

Not that unusual back in the day, few people had and wall outlets. You could even buy BC double adaptors, so you could plug the iron in and have the bulb lit. Many of the homes with socket outlets, probably only had a single 5amp two pin in the whole house. I remember my dad running an electric fire, radio, Christmas tree and later a TV via a multi way adaptor from a 5amp two pin. If the fuse blew, rewire with an even bigger wire :-)