Ali windows, blown DG pane, howto remove?

Hi,

[Background of this job is appended to end of post for the terminally bored/curious]

I'd be really grateful for a pointer or two regarding some ali double glazed windows, as seen here:

've got two blown 35x36" panels which should be straightforward to replace, once I know the magic approach for getting them out.

I found this info via google:

says: "Remove rubber beading from inside with a blunt tool, then push glass unit back a bit from the front then unclip the plastic angle beading on the front."

I've got ali (rather than plastic) angle at the front, and a rubber bead that does come out on the inside. Is it likely that the procedure to remove the panel is the same? Am I aiming to unclip the angle by lifting or by pushing back first?

I'm being cautious before I take tools to it as I really don't want to break anything, and it's probably going to be stiff due to corrosion.

On a side note, anyone know a good place to buy replacement sealing bead in various section-styles? I couldn't find much beyond greenhouse stuff.

Many many thanks,

Tim

Background, skip unless you're really really bored... =====================================================

I have aquired a house (aquired, not bought) and it looks like the beginning of a moderately comprehensive renovation job. Assuming I can't sell it (seems unlikely at the current time), I'll be aiming to fix it up to a good standard for my family to move in to. The emphasis will be on doing it a good standard with a long life expectency, not a bodge-and-sell renovation.

There will be a few jobs that may get contracted out to a professional, probably anything roofing related for a start, but the general aim is to do most of it myself.

I can turn my hand to most things, given enough preparation and information, but having rented for years, I'm out of practise. So I'd be most grateful for various bits of advice. I'm OK with electrics (subject to swotting up on the 17th and testing procedures), plumbing (bit dated), tiling and painting/papering (except upside down).

I'm fairly clueless (but not potentially useless, I hope!) on matters of ventilation, structural integrity and damp proofing. More on that later. The house is a solid dry shell with a functional roof that needs a full internal refit.

As there's a lot to do, despite previous ramblings on the subject of overly beaurocratic building regs, I will put in a BNA to cover everything, as there's not much point in not doing so (some of the work has structural implications, exact scope undecided at this stage). With any luck I'll get to pick the BCO's brains along the way.

By way of contribution, I want to keep a photo-blog of the project, including mistakes (sure there'll be a few), which will be publically available in case it can help anyone else starting out on a renovation project.

Reply to
Tim S

Sounds correct from what I've seen from other units. Take out rubber from one side, push back glass, remove angle from other - by pushing in towards glass slightly then sliding it out of the recess.

You local glazier should carry a variety of rubber beading should you need it.

Reply to
dom

snipped-for-privacy@gglz.com coughed up some electrons that declared:

Cool. Thanks Dom. I'll give it a go on a small pane first. Once I've got the hang of the clips, I'll get the large pane out, measure up and get a couple of replacements made up, and enquire about the beading at the same time.

Thanks for taking the time.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to