Aldi SDS and Core Drills

Hi all

Following TMH link to Aldi SDS drill, I wondered if it would be man enough and compatible with the core drill set that is also being offered. Anyone any experience with this combination? If they're OK together I might just splash out.

Also, I rang an Aldi Darlington number to check if the items were available at my local store - they claimed that these would be available at all stores, but from what I have read here in the past this has not been the case.

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

I have cored a 110mm hole through a 9" solid brick wall with a less powerful from Lidl (I think) lust fine.

This drill is now past it, and I will be trying to get a new one tomorrow!

Reply to
Toby

If they're like Lidl, some popular items run out very quickly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Note that the largest core drill is 107 mm dia, I doubt they overcut enough to allow a 110 mm pipe through...

Lidl have regional variations on their offers, I don't think Aldi do.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

TheScullster wibbled on Wednesday 07 July 2010 11:09

TBH I did get the core set last time and have hardly used it exceot for the small core. It's slow and the sizes don't go up to cover 110mm pipe or 5" ducting.

I have since made far more use of TCT hole cutters as they're a bit faster with hammer engaged - and yes, the ALDI 8kg SDS will cope with any of these. Although my 2kg Hitachi has about the same "hammer power" in practise, teh ALDI has more grunt and goes for longer being abused without getting red hot

- good for rough crap jobs and plaster mixing where you don;t care too much 'cos it's only 30 (or was it 39) quid - but not a full replacement for a good quality 2kg IME.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You don't need much power. It just takes longer and you have to be more patient. I have put a 110mm core drill through a wall using a battery drill even though it took three batteries to do it. If its the diamond core bits you are thinking of then they don't work with hammer action.

Reply to
dennis

replying to Toby, Cameron Nugent wrote: Hey mate, what is the size of the female connection at the top of these bits?

Reply to
Cameron Nugent

replying to Dave Liquorice, Cameron Nugent wrote: Hey mate, what is the size of the female connection at the top of these bits?

Reply to
Cameron Nugent

replying to Cameron Nugent, rde42 wrote: They've probably changed in the 9 years since this was posted. You could always check the date...

Reply to
rde42

What are you talking about?

What bits?

Reply to
John Rumm

I assume the bits that go in an SDS drill

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You ever seen a SDS bit with a female connector on the "top"?

Reply to
John Rumm

Pilot drill in a core drill arbor?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Still it hardly matters - it was a HoH poster, so they will never find the thread again anyway!

Reply to
John Rumm

True.

Reply to