Aldi rechargeable shaver - battery replacement?

I don't suppose anyone has one of those Aldi rechargeable foil shavers and has taken the plunge and replaced the batteries inside it?
(FYI for non-UK readers - this is a cheap UK supermarket own brand!)
Mine is about 2 years old, and works fine except that the built-in batteries are pretty-well gone; it now just holds charge for about a day or two's shaving, but soon it will be only possible to use it tethered by its mains cable/charger.
I've opened it up and the batteries (AA or AAA size) are concealed by a plastic housing and circuit board to which they are soldered. Any further surgery now on my part will involve breaking into the housing, which I think will carry a high risk of killing the shaver altogether, which would be a pity! I can't see any easy way in.
So I'm just wondering whether anyone else has been down this road before me and successfully opened up one of these to replace the batteries?
Thanks David

Aldi is owned by Wall-Mart, although most stores are a much higher proportion food goods than Wall-Marts are.

I've done this a number of times with shavers and beard trimmers, and kept some old ones going for years. Mine were all Ni-Cds which are getting harder to find nowadays. At 2 years old, yours almost certainly isn't NiCds, more likely NiMH. I guess there might be some products with Lithium polymer batteries at the top of the range. NiMH with solder tags are easy to find.
Can't comment on the ease of disassembly of your unit. If the shaver was waterproof, I would not assume it still will be. If the shaver brings in mains directly, then you must be particularly careful to reassemble with any insulation barriers in the right place.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Sun, 24 May 2009 19:07:39 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

I thought *Asda* was owned by Wal-Mart (!Wall-Mart)? Or is it really both?

No, you're right.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 24 May, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Asda is owned by Wall-Mart (American). Aldi is a German company.
--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

It is Wal-Mart, with only one 'L'
There are Aldi supermarkets in the US.

We have a local ALDI, started out only with food, but expanded into general merchansdise (about 20% of the floor space is now non-food. They have just gotten zoning for a new big store and I can't wait to see what they carry. It is bare-bones shopping, but prices beat everyone else and it has become quite popular in our supposedly upscale Naperville suburban Chicago area. SHopped at some of their stores in Germany also over the years and they are wisdespread over there, their home location. ADSA is the Wal-Mart subsidiary, they were bought out a few years ago.
In message

I imagine they will run the stores in the same way that they do in the UK. In addition to the basic foods lines they have specials that are changed twice a week. If you want to know what their specials are going to be you need to sign up for their email mailing list. Lidl are a very similar operation and work the same way.
The specials often include various tools and household hardware. I've found that they are generally good value but you need to buy when they have stock and not when you need something.
--
Bernard Peek

"hr(bob) snipped-for-privacy@att.net" wrote:

Save-A-Lot beats them on some things, Aldi on others. The same with Wal-Mart. Distilled water for 87 cents a gallon, and diet pop I can stand to drink, 78 cents for a two liter bottle. Some brands use artificial sweetener that makes me sick. Sams Club is good for some food items, as well. I go to Aldi and Sams club about once a month, then I do the rest of my shopping at a local Winn-Dixie or Save-A-Lot store that area couple miles from me.

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

What's the name exactly of the diet drink that doesn't have a saccharin taste, I can't find one.
mark wrote:

Water.
Owain
I know of no diet drink that uses saccharin. Saccharin had a bitter aftertaste.
mark wrote:

I don't know any that taste like Saccharin . It was banned for a long, long time, but I remember how foul it tasted in the '60s. It was so foul that I won't touch anything made with it. The one I buy at Wal-Mart is their Diet Dr. Thunder , a knockoff of Dr. Pepper . The two others I can drink are Winn-Dixie Check brand. Their Diet Kountry Mist , a knockoff of Mountain Dew . the other is their Diet Creme Soda . All three use Aspartame . Other artificial sweeteners give me severe diarrhea.

I like Pepsi Max in the UK (again, Aspartame). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to exist in the US, and the Diet Pespi/Coke there is also worse than here (maybe Saccharin; I haven't looked at the ingedients).
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diet_Pepsi says Pepsi uses Aspartame in the US, but it uses other types in Canada, along with Aspartame
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsi_Max says Pepsi Max is now being sold in the US. I don't even bother to look at the Pepsi products, anymore. I never cared for any version of Coke .

On Sun, 24 May 2009 16:44:17 -0400 Michael A. Terrell wrote :

And here in Australia
--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Bullshit.
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Yes I'm sure I can sort it similarly, provided I can get inside without destroying it!

No, it comes with a wall-wart so fortunately it's only low voltage input.
David
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Since when?
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
On Sun, 24 May 2009 19:23:21 +0100, Lobster wrote:

I've done this with a razor in the past, though not the one you have. The only issue I came across was that the batteries (2 of 'em) were a non- standard size. However RS, or Farnell stocked the 2/3rds size cells I needed. A quick swap-out and it was back to working again. If yo do have to break into anything, hot-melt glue is your friend for making reasonably sturdy repairs.