Aldi nail gun.

I'd like to know what you're talking about ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On a product of this sort in this sort of store I doubt it - if you and I go into buy one I would bet that there's a fair chance we'd come out with this item only. Loss leaders work when they lose 20p on one item and make £5 on the basket.

I would guess that the weekly specials are deals struck with suppliers who will cut very good deals for a guaranteed no returns no promotional cost production run. We sell our SuperBeam software for £149, but if Aldi would like to sign up for 100,000 copies they can have them for £10 each

Reply to
Tony Bryer

(from another article): >Bordering on? It's way over the line. >If I could be bothered, I'd write to the ASA and trading standards.

Well, you should do it. If these people make misleading claims, then people who aren't "in the know" could be fooled, and buy something inappropriate to their needs. It's your responsibility to complain. Do it!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The compressor is £60 in the UK, and E100 in Ireland, the equivalent of £69.28. Interesting.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

What do you know about punctuation? You can't even use capitals and while we're at it...just what does lemme mean caveman boy?

RedOnRed doesn't mean a thing. BlueOnBlue however is another thing, but then that's immaterial in this context.

Judging by your previous postings you're clearly a manual worker that presumably has little customer facing skills? Does your boss prefer to keep you in some dark, damp corner in order to least offend your punters...am I warm?

Reply to
RedOnRed

agreed. you're meanignless.

cold as a pavement pizza on christmas day. I am the boss ;-)

are you a customer ?

R.O.A.R. please leave or I'll forcibly eject you.

RT

Reply to
[news]

at any point in the next three years :D

RT

Reply to
[news]

I went into Aldi today and looked at one of these nail guns. It immediately disintegrated as I looked at it and exploded showering the shoppers in shrapnel. Made a mess of the bread shelves. Appalling.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

The stuff they sell is from the same suppliers. 3 yr gurantees, etc.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Of course, I never thought of that. You're the boss and you've got used to speaking to people like shit, just the way you want to speak to people.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Nothing to do with sophisticated machiney like the above but a relatively primitive tool

Spouse has been occasionally using a small hammer for many years. It might even have been his father's (and no it hasn't had any new heads although he did replace the handle once in the last twenty years). It has been very reliable and wasn't a cheap one.

The other day he was using it - without any great force, he has a range of hammers and knws when to use them for what application. He's also a metallurgist so understands about metals and aging and work hardening and all the rest and so do I before anyone tries to blind me with science.

Part of the head flew off, it could have been very nasty, damaging his eyesight, his hands, his... well whatever. The odds, come to think of it, of any flying bit damagine any one part of the body are quite high. Anyway, he's still intact, he does more damage to his hands cutting brambles. He certainly leaked a lot of red stuff when he was knapping flints last year.

Accidents happen to the best of us, in all circumstances, using all kinds of tools. They do happen more to some people but I believe that's more to do with the user than the tool.

Sadly he's had to limit his beloved hammer to only using the other part of the head. He won't throw it away. He was looking at some in Lidl to replace it but they didn't have the right type and he's very particular about the right tool for the particular application. He has all the ones they offered which he had a use for but, he said, if he hadn't he'd have been happy to buy them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Dunno. I bought one of those car starter packs with built in compressor for 20 quid in Lidl, and have just seen the self same brand in the Frost catalogue for 50 quid. Now Frost sell some high quality stuff. Makes you wonder.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

another line of posts with nothing to do with the OP or the original question .classic trolling, I'm sorry for playing along.

/end

RT

Reply to
[news]

it does indeed. get a JT Frith cash and carry card, you'll be shocked at just how much of a markup most UK stores have on items like that.

RT

Reply to
[news]

I know and in fact it turned out to be wrong aswell! Sorry about that, I was given the wrong message too. Apparently they have decided to put plasterboard onto the joists and battens on top, so that will make the nailing a bit easier.

Ah yes, I know what you mean, should have thought of that. The French use the word parquet for small pieces of wood, which you will be thinking of, and larger bits too. These are about 4" wide and vary from about 500mm to

1500mm in length I think.

which they were, well spotted!

OK I'll pass that on, thanks.

I think that's probably why they set a budget at around the 100GBP mark. More than that wouldn't have been worth it. Whether they will find one to hire around here, and whether the hire shop will allow them to rent it is another matter entirely :-)

Well that's very interesting, thanks. I think the nail guns my husband has seen wouldn't have been able to do that, that being one of the reasons he thought doing it by hand would be better, in that the nail guns can be inaccurate and split the tongue. Also apparently the tongues on this timber are straight, ie not really at the right angle for secret nailing.

Thanks again Andy,

Reply to
Holly in France

That's OK, we forgive you.

Reply to
RedOnRed

That's a stupid accusation. I simply described a situation that I saw happen and highlighted a potential issue.

It is a big assumption that a product will have been tested for suitability before being marketed. The normal requirement for most product categories is for the CE label to be applied to the product, the packaging, the warranty certificate or the instructions. This simply indicates that the manufacturer or the organisation marketing the product is declaring that the product meets all of the applicable standards for that type of product. For most product categories, this is a self declaration on the part of said manufacturer or marketer.

A responsible manufacturer will have put the product through an independent test lab and have the test reports available. For example, if you look at any Bosch tool, you will find a Declaration of Conformity listing the standards tested, the test house and the signatures of two individuals with contact details on the bottom.

I am not so naive as to assume that this automatically makes the product good and brilliant, but I tend to think that it's highly unlikely that an engineering manager from Bosch would put his name to a product without the testing and paperwork in place.

I am far, far less confident when it comes to a cheap supermarket who has been somewhat misleading with its product advertising. While I am not suggesting impropriety, what is probably a lack of knowledge in the product area, if we give the benefit of the doubt, does not fill me with faith that the regulatory areas have been properly addressed.

Many organisations use outsource manufacturing. The large manufacturing houses in China will make a product down to a price if the customer wants that, or they will make something to the requirements and using the materials for a quality vendor.

Making the "same factory" argument is stupid.

The important things are the materials used, the quality control, after sales service and other backup and the quality of the final product.

If you are unable to tell the difference, then by all means buy the lower quality item.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Do you really mean plasterboard? Usually ply is the typical thing. One other aspect of this is the use of green oak and possible movement. Others here such as TNP and possibly Anna know a lot about this area.

OK. This is more like random length floor boards. If they are going for tongue and groove boards, it may be better to do a floating floor with underlay between the boards and the ply. My concern is over the possible movement of the joists, though.

Mmmmm..... I think that they ought to get some advice on how to put the ply on the joists (i.e. is it necessary to account for possible movement).

Even after that, I think that renting a proper flooring nailer is a better proposition than using the wrong kind of air nailer. You probably *could* use an air nailer, but part of the function of the large mechanical ones is to push the board up as you go.

Exactly. They are made for this specific job. They get the angle right and push the piece up and support it.

You can do some of this in other ways but they can be more time consuming. There are a lot of nails........

Reply to
Andy Hall

Mary, for somebody as close to nature as yourself, I'm surprised :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well, Tony

This could be a marketing opportunity for them. If you can find the marketing manager who did the nailer web page, you should have no difficulty convincing him that Superbeam is something that they could sell as a gizmo to make your car headlights brighter.

I can see it now - the car picture with the CDROM bluetacked to the front.

He could probably do this as a project for his day release MBA.

Reply to
Andy Hall