removing paint stains from wood floor

Hi

We have got a few paint stains (whitle emulsion) on a oiled hardwood real oak floor. The paint is several days old now.

We've tried white spirt, hot water, wickes decorators wipes but they all tend to spread the stain, rather than get rid of it. The floor is only a couple fo weeks old and, frankly, I'm pulling my hair out over this. Anyone able to suggest anything?

Reply to
richard

You don't need me to tell you it's better to avoid the paint getting on in the first place.

Light sanding with fine paper. May need to re-oil the affected patch(es) afterwards.

Reply to
rrh

Hard wood floor - best way is to ignore it for a week until the paint is _really_ hard, then take it off with a cabinet scraper. Refinish the oil patch, as necessary. Sanding or solvents will just spread it and dump it into the pores.

This would have been better _before_ you went at it with white spirit. You'll still get it up, but you'll have to go a bit deeper now.

Google recently for advice (oak table thread) on steel cabinet scrapers, or how to make a glass one for this sort of task.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I'd try steel wool soaked in the oil you used to finish the floor, then wipe with a lint-free cloth.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Hi,

Brass wool is better for oak as any fragments of steel that get stuck in the wood could/will react with the tannins and blacken the wood.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Meths., and copious amounts of plain white kitchen towel. Meths. actually dissolves emulsion paint. As it's oiled, hopefully the paint won't have penetrated the grain. Treat plenty of area, don't just scrub the spots. Rub in some more oil after.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Don't use steel wool anywhere near oak. You'll get iron stain and the floor will look like you've spilled ink on it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Whoops - I should have thought of that. Shows how often I get to work with quality materials, doesn't it? :-)

Reply to
Rob Morley

You should either have wiped it off immediately before it dries, with a damp cloth , or wait until very dry and then lift off with hot air gun.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
jacob