Aldi nail gun.

Bertie, it gives peace of mind to the buyer in that within 3 years they can have their money back or the item replace if defective. Are you suggesting that people ignore the 3 yr guarantee?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Do they do barbed wire?

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

In your other post you're suggesting that the OP spends £100. Spending £20 instead of £100 is not "saving a little money" in my book.

My hunch (and it is only that) is that when Aldi/Lidl do offers like this they are able to get the price because of the quantity they are buying - and because of this they are likely to satisfy themselves as to the safety of the goods involved, given what the cost of a recall would be (in refunds, advertising it, and bad publicity).

Reply to
Tony Bryer

pi$$ed :o)

drop one clanger and I'm dammned forever :-(

RT

Reply to
[news]

DON'T USE IT! Compressed AIR is HIGHLY DANGEROUS in UNTRAINED hands, and anyway at that PRICE it is almost sure to BLOW UP in your FACE!!!!

DON'T USE IT! At that PRICE it is almost SURE to SPRAY BRADS all over the place, possibly NAILING YOUR HEAD to the WALL! And that's JUST BEFORE it BLOWS UP in your FACE!!!!

DON'T USE IT!!! It is VERY liable to EXPLODE, possibly TAKING YOUR HOUSE DOWN!!!! At the very LEAST it is LIABLE to BLOW UP in your FACE!!!!

THIS IS DANGEROUS!!! A tyre INFLATOR at this price won't have the POWER to function PROPERLY, and even if it DOES, the TYRE INFLATOR is likely to BLOW UP in your FACE shortly before your CAR TYRE EXPLODES shredding your GONADS!!!!

A splay GUN - oh my GOD - RUN for COVER even if it's STILL in it's BOX! YOU KNOW it's HIGHLY likely to BLOW UP in your FACE!!!!

YOU SHOULD be paying at least £6,000,000 for a SET UP like this, else it WILL NOT be effective & is SURE TO BE likely to BLOW UP in your FACE!!!!

AH. OH. Oh well I've nothing to say to you I will HAVE to - OFF now for a quick LIE DOWN in my BEDROOM and have a QUICK PLAY with MY TOOLs.

Dave - thanks - noffence intended - see rest of thread. ROFL.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

"The ideal accessory for our Powercraft compressor, this handy air gun is ideal for quick and accurate fixing. This product is suitable for both staples and nails and will work with 16/25/40/50mm nails and 13/16/25/40mm staple lengths.

1 pack of staples and nails included. Complete with a rigid carry case. Maximum working pressure: 6 bar and 0.11 air consumption."

for a compressor and nail guns is excellent value.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

If it does what it says on the tin then excellent - a useful tool for a damned good price.

If it doesn't, then it's a waste of the purchasor's time, money & the earth's resources - 3yr warranty or not.

Reply to
RichardS

13/16/25/40mm

If after 1 week you don't like it, can you return it like in B&Q, Screwfix, etc?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I don't think so.

I simply don't believe that something for £20 in Aldi is going to be of a different build quality to something for £20 in B&Q or anywhere else. I have seen a wide variety of the low end ones in different places. They are all the same apart from trim.

If you look and compare this type of tool with a Senco, Porter Cable or Hitachi nailer, the differences in build quality are very obvious and are not chrome plating.

Further, if you had seen the result of what happens when the mechanics on one of these low end nailers fails, you wouldn't be making such stupid remarks.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I think that it actually reflects that you have no idea about the safety aspects of air tools.

I would recommend that you don't consider buying one.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, I'm very forgiving.

I also have a bad memory for people's solecisms.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Thanks for the thought Mike.

Actually I'm not a perfectionist as such. I prefer to achieve things well, effectively and efficiently. If you achieve perfection, there is only one way to go, and that is away from it, so not a good idea.

However in general you're right about one aspect of my product choices, and that is doing a good job. The main part for me is looking at all of the aspects, and not just the purchase price as I've said before.

On this particular topic, though, my issue is not one of tool performance, although better nailers certainly do perform better than entry level ones. The results are more consistent and the mechanisms are much less prone to jamming. My major concern is over safety here. Compressed air and compressed air tools are very useful and very effective - I use them both a lot. However, compressed air, although seemingly inoccuous in comparison with electricity and other energy sources, can be absolutely lethal, especially when brought together with a percussion tool like a nailer.

In this area, I simply think that it is foolhardy to go for anything less than the best tools that you can get regardless of price. A comparable, good quality nailer costs around £100 rather than the £20 under discussion here. I value my eyes, fingers and other bits of my body far more highly than £80.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In article , Doctor Evil writes

To be honest John its not worth going though this again with you, you didn't understand it last time so you're not likely to understand it this

Reply to
Dave

It's always possible.

We have had at least one story of a cheap angle grinder catching fire, but in general rotating electrical tools as you say are more likely to be inconvenient or be heavy or wear more quickly rather than failing catastrophically.

The mechanisms in air nailers are quite different in the failures tend to be either the mechanism jamming or something giving way. In the first case people tend to try to fix them without knowing what they are doing and then they fail catastrophically anyway.

When a nail is being punched into a piece of hardwood, the forces at the head of the tool are enormous and I have seen the result of one failing - pieces flying everywhere and bits in the wall.

Hence I only buy the best quality nailers, maintain them exactly according to the maker's instructions and always with the requisite safety equipment.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well Tony.... I think it is if you are comparing against the loss of eyes, fingers and the effect of other injuries.

Possibly... I am simply comparing the low end here with the Senco, PC, and Hitachi products. Quite likely Aldi do have for £20 what everybody else has for £30 - I don't suppose that they are any worse.

I just don't think that the risk is worth taking.

Reply to
Andy Hall

incorrect, I've used many air tools. I've even been forced onto an H&S course (got a certificate somewhere) where people like you took a whole afternoon to labouriously spell out (what could have been conveyed in 30mins) instructions on the correct use of tools & compressors (even tho we'd been using them for years with no problems) /and/ the need to have them certificated annually /and/ shown a video of various air tool accidents, ad nauseum.

people like you seem make a song and dance about being in posession of superior knowledge that many treat as general knowledge or common sense.

personally, if some numpty offs themselves due to incorrect use of any power tool, £20 or £100, then I'm all for it, preferably before they breed.

darwinism in action.

RT

Reply to
[news]

It's called playing the numbers game and is a standard practice in volume distribution. People go on courses to learn how to do this.

The starting points are to look at the anticipated amount of use by the customer and how likely he is to take it back if it breaks.

This allows an expected return rate to be calculated, and the deal with the manufacturing house in China will be to allow a certain wastage rate (manufacturer's risk) or the retailer takes the risk and factors it into the price.

None of this has anyhting to do with altruism towards the customer, service, standing behind the product or anything else. It's a simple economic equation. If the retailer gets it right most of the time then he does well. Occasionally he will have a duffer and lose his shirt. It all comes down to the negotiation between him and the manufacturer.

The point that I am making here is not about warranties but about build quality, material quality and safety.

Reply to
Andy Hall

When it is simple a marketing tool to mask the reality of what the customer is getting then it should be ignored.

Unfortunately most people are gullible and fall for this as well as trinket features like cheap laser guides. They also buy lottery tickets....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Of course. Any air tool used improperly can cause serious injury. There is no need to compound the risk by using anything other than a good quality one.

Reply to
Andy Hall

That makes you sound very smug ...

We've never bought a lottery ticket - of ANY kind - ever.

No idea what a cheap laser guide is.

But I bet you buy some things on price which I wouldn't, does that make you gullible?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher