alarm batteries

Have legislation doesn't necessarily reduce or eliminate the noise nuisance. Unless the alternative keyholder is a highly trusted near neighbour the alarm will still go off and probably stop sounding by the time that a designated key holder turns up. This is assuming that a home alarm has been designed and set up for a sounding period of no more than

15 minutes. It also assumes that the alternative key holder knows how to operate an alarm that that may not be familiar to them and that they have been given the correct codes to disable the alarm.

It is very unlikely that the Police will turn up to a domestic alarm unless it is being monitored by a third party monitoring company.

Reply to
alan_m

Yes, but that is a separate matter from noise nuisance.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Here there is one house alarm that goes off frequently and everyone ignores. We all take a look if any other alarm goes off, as most hardly ever do.

When I still lived at my parents there was a house on the next road, where the driver was incapable of getting into his car without setting the alarm off - every weekday, 1 to 1-1/2 hours before I was due to get up :(

Our own car alarm went off about once every couple of months and we could not find out why, but we dared not disable it, as the same model car at the house opposite was stolen 3 times (someone wanting to get home after the buses had stopped we presumed, as it was left in the same place each time, undamaged and with nothing missing). On the 4th occasion, the owner had fitted a crook-lock and although the car stayed put, he then had to pay for damage done when they tried to remove it!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes, but many alarms re-trigger multiple times, so the nuisance can go on for hours and without a registered keyholder, no-one knows who to contact.

20 minutes is the maximum allowed and there are probably few alarms left that don't conform to that.

In our case, my parents, who can be here within 5 minutes, have a key (as they feed our cats when we are away and generally look after things for us), have the same model of alarm and with one of our two codes the same as the code on their alarm.

They haven't done for years. The value (as long as you have an alarm that doesn't give loads of false alarms) is that neighbours do look.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker