aircrete square anchor

Anyone used these ?

sm_jamieson

Does it need a square hole?

Reply to
PeterC

Yep, you have to be quick with the drill keep it square ;-)

I'm not convinced about using it in hard blocks as they say, but sounds like a good technology for aircrete (speaking as an engineer !) I can see how it would work. If you use a long screw, you've got practically 2 methods in parallel. I'll have to get some a try them. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

?

possible fixing for aerated blocks.

OTOH, if you're even trying to attach things to aerated blocks, you're probably doomed.

Aerated blocks are crumbly and have low tensile strength over very small areas (only something like 1/3rd of the average over a large area, AFAIR). So other fixings, including resin, that try to attach to a small hole are likely to fail by this local overloading. These long split "clothespeg" fasteners aren't great over a small surfae either, but they're big enough to be adequate and they distribute themselves over the largest possible volume, so as to avoid local overloading.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

?

> Best possible fixing for aerated blocks.

I've built kitchen out of them (internal leaf only ;-) WIthout them, wall would have been thicker and lost more internal space. I will have to fix kitchen cupboards and a boiler to them. I may fix ply to the wall with something like lots of these aircrete fixings, then screw what I like to the ply. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I never had any problems. Secret IMO is to use long screws and make sure that the top of the plug is well below the surface of the block so that when the plug expands it creates a 'plug' in the middle of the block.

Reply to
Tony Bryer