aircrete fixings feedback

I've now got some A . square nylon aircrete anchors whose legs are supposed to spread out B. fischer GB8 plugs with helical fins C. normal screw-in frame fixings My aircrete blocks were the slightly stronger type than the solar blocks.

Results: A. In my blocks without a pilot hole you have to hammer these so hard I'm sure my wall would crack. I tried it on a lone block and 50mm from the edge the block cracked and edge fell away. If you put a pilot hole the fins do not spread and I could pull these out with a mole grip. They fixed in fairly strong but were in effect just a normal plug since if the pilot hole is all the way the fins do not spread. A pilot hole some of the way may be the best compromise.

B. Hammering in needs as much force as (A) but pull-out was very good.

C. Fairly far into the block (past half way) with 0.5mm smaller pilot hole than recommended, and tighten with screw. Pull-out seemed as good as with B.

Hum. So I'm not sure the special aircrete fixings are that wonderful. (C) is the best overall if your wall withstands the battering.

Anyone else got info to add ?

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I just stick with long screws and long plugs (Fischer SX8L 65mm length, though they are a pig to buy) or frame fixings (one of the Fischer ones is very suitable - lots of grips along more of its length than is common).

If it needs to be *mentally* strong, like a basin without pedastal or a loo cistern, I use (optionally stainless) studding and resin-mortar those in to about 3" into the block - reckon the thread will strip before they come out :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I tend to put 2 smallish plugs in in series if the wall's weak.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

This could be useful on the wiki, mind if its added?

NT

Reply to
Tabby

By all means. I think the special anchors are designed with the very lightweight aircrete in mind (solar blocks etc). I was using "thermalite shield" which I think is slightly more dense. When I get around to it I'll obtain a single solar block and test on that too. Such tests may be more relevant. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

lovely, thanks.

NT