Air filtration.

If you have an allergic reaction going on *until* and *if* you can find a cure Nasonex et al help with the symptoms. I You could try em for a week? -you may feel a lot better - then stop if it still scares you...

True Steroids per se don't cure, but neither do (any) antihistamines - they are all symptom relievers.

google for the symptoms - ask yourself the questionnaire ! :>)

Ah yes the essential natural therapeutic cure-nearly-all health liquor :>))

CHeers hic JimK

Reply to
JimK

I sometimes wonder. ;-(

Oh.

You didn't do this in Egypt did you? ;-)

Ok, I'll see how it goes.

I'm not aware that there is but I do know the plaster is soft / patchy in places and I've never been one put stuff over stuff etc. Also I didn't know if having the old render there was a good idea, it taking up space where something better (thermally) might go?

Nor me (in fact 'cold' can be good in many cases) but if it creates actual problems (like cold spots that attract condensation) then I guess it's not so good.

Of course.

Till I line it etc.

The bedroom(s) would be quite easy to do (thermal improvements) and I would probably be doing them along with actually putting some flooring down over the floorboards in a couple of places (like half the hall). However, I think I would only be doing it because of the side effects like condensation rather than energy conservation as we don't generally heat those areas in any case (us adapting to suit the house rather than adapting the house to suit us).

Well the ventilation bit is easy to do (windows) but brings in wit it it's own issues (road / vehicle dust etc).

Does anyone do any forced (positive pressure) filtered ventilation solutions?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. A mate gave me an old PC from his office yesterday and I wiped - re-installed Windows and made it dual boot with Ubuntu while I was there. I used Ubuntu as a LiveCD to get the Windows drivers for the USB WiFi dongle that came with it (as Ubuntu found it on it's own) then did the Windows updates etc. I'd have to say it probably took about the same time to install and update XPH-SP3 as it did Ubuntu 9.1 but then I didn't need to do the AV bit with Linux. ;-)

I've been trying to expose those people who just use their PC's as web terminals to Ubuntu in the thought that it should be more durable.

Me, "What do you use your PC for".

Them, "Just browsing the web, email, Facebook etc"

(I install Ubuntu for them. Two days later ..)

Them, "How can I run iTunes and my phone software, the kids games, MSN, (and not a MSN compatible client) ... "

Reply to
T i m

I've never got into this buy-use-sell-thing. That's probably why this house is so full of stuff. ;-(

So condensation is trapped in the room then?

So you are screwing the plasterboard against the Celotex using the batten 25 mm away?

They are pretty near flush with the outside walls, yes.

So this would really need to be done before the reveal was finished / plastered then (or I lose some of the windows frame)?

Latent heat of vaporisation as well?

It is cold in the hall that's for sure but then it's unheated so it's bound to be.

The 'problem' is how to deal with the stairs etc. I guess you could fit a mock side to the stairs to bring the new insulation down onto?

But in the milder days our huge flank wall acts like a big storage radiator as the sun is on it most of the afternoon then it radiates heat indoors during the evening / night?

Doh!

Ok.

Ok.

Maybe we are used to it. The bathroom / toilet is just thin lino tiles straight on some self leveling on concrete. It's cold to the bare feet and that's why we wear slippers. ;-)

Would this underlay apply to carpet tiles would you know or would you insulate under hardboard etc?

Thanks.

I guess it would be possible to build a diy solution where the fan is remoted (another room or under the floor etc)?

K.

Assuming there isn't actually a workable 'quiet' solution. Like all things you can manage what you can measure but I can't afford a particle counter. ;-(

Ok.

You can so we might see later. ;-)

Fair point.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

So, what exactly are they supposed to help please. Like, the day I went to the Doc was the first complete clear / breathable day I'd had for about 5 weeks. She prescribed the Nasal spray and antihistamines and I started using both straight away. Ironically I couldn't use the spray as I went all blocked up again and it was a rare moment where I could actually breath through my nose enough to inhale the spray (but only because it was blocked, not swollen AFAIK).

Right now, after nearly 30 days 'just' on the antihistamines I might sneeze once every other day, blow my nose now ad again and have been breathing / sleeping easy for a few days (it did go downhill at days

15-20 but that could have been a cold that the rest of the family seemed to have at the time). During this total period (now 80 days or so) the environment hasn't changed and nor has my diet etc?

I could once I know what they are supposed to do for me.

And further there is suggestion they can do irreparable harm. Personally I try to take nothing till I have to.

But I'm not sure I've read or been told they are as 'bad' as steroids might be?

Ok. In any case I don't think I have asthma. I have always had a breathing 'issue', even as a fit 15 year old I could either do the

100m on one breath or the cross country [1] as a steady pace. I couldn't do the 200m as I would simply run out of breath.

Oh yes and how so many tramps stay well in spite of living in cold damp and dirty places and with little in the way of food. ;-)

;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I found the following when trying to help a mate find some steroids for his elderly dog.

don't 'believe' all it says but it did make me think.

Reply to
T i m

The Mrs uses Healthspan for cod liver oil and the like but they aren't 'medicines' as such.

Good idea.

But that's the rub isn't it, if it's something that is low dose / background / see_how_you_go sorta thing (like my statins) the only way you might know they weren't working was if whatever it is changed enough to be noticeable. Like I would have to have a blood test and be sure it wasn't anything else that affected my cholesterol levels (that were only marginally high in the first place).

I was about to say that. ;-(

LOL. Seriously though, I wouldn't hold that against them if all the other signs were good.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

reduce inflammation.

Systemically as in your dog link (oral pills higher dose not good for

*long* periods (usually in UK a week or so at a time is usual - at 20-30mg per day))

Topical (sprays creams ointments etc)- much lower dose so safer and more useful as easier to get to where they can help. In my and (probly) your case up our hooters

Google is sometimes your friend :>)

Obviously *if* you don;t need them or cannot benefit from their use then don't take/use them.... However if you never try for fear of marginal risks of marginal side effects you won't ever know... (flat earth etc)

I'd be seriously surprised if you suffer any harm for 2 weeks use and certainly nothing that wouldn't repair itself (e,g, any spooky osteoporosis from your dog link etc) on the other hand it may help and improve your symptoms - if it does then the next time you see the quack he'll be a step closer to diagnosing what the F is going on.

Consider telling the quack when you go back - it's probly all related / worth investigating.

"well" is a relative thing - TB, liver disease, Hepatitis god knows what else under the surface.

BTW I'm quite partial to a skinful every once in a while - I'm not some preaching teetotaller :>)

like I say its all relative risk/benefit ratios and most of those "ruinous" effects are generally from high dose long term systemic use.

America especially has had a long love affair with systemic steroids thrown around with abandon as the first drug of choice for any inflammation problem however caused - the problems start as patients feel "fantastic" within days of starting taking steroids and feel Sh1t when they stop - hence they demand a repeat scrip and the spiral begins....

Nasonex is very low targeted topical dose - so those horror stories I believe would not apply (and honest guv I ain't a Nasonex junkie I can quit anytime - honest! sniff etc :>))

Cheers JimK

Reply to
JimK

I found the exact same thing in a pound shop today (so £1 / 7) . ;-)

Time will tell if they make any difference.

Maybe if I grow another hand I'll be able to type faster. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

In fact it's a lorry sized air filter in a plastic case and stilting on a fan! ;-)

As you say, it's *just* tolerable as background noise but very powerful.

This afternoon daughter decided tidy up the sofa and in so doing seemed to stir up (as seen in a little halogen desk lamp I have here) a bit of a snow storm of dust particles. ;-(

I turned the purifier on (lowest level) and instantly noticed a 'flow' to the dust. Over the next 15 mins it reduced from 'good gawd' to 'where have they gone' (even whilst looking through a magnifying glass). That's only the stuff we could see of course but on the grounds that smaller stuff would likely to stay in suspension longer and travel with the stuff we could see then it looks promising.

So, it should be good to have on when we are likely to be making a bit of dust and / or of any of us are suffering from any hay fever / dust related type issues.

Thanks for the heads-up js,b1. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m