Air Conditioning / Vacuum pump requirement

Hi
I'm looking for a cheap split Air Conditioning unit for a new conservatory. Some of these units say "No Vacuum Pump required":
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Air-Conditioning-18000-BTU-Air-Con-Heater-Cooler_W0QQitemZ270027675364QQihZ017QQcategoryZ20711QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
others dont mention it:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIR-CONDITIONING-NETT-JAPAN-SPLIT-18-000-BTU-NEW_W0QQitemZ130023181210QQihZ003QQcategoryZ20711QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Whilst I generally understand that performance will be 'better' if the pipes are vacuum pumped, do they need to be, and if not will it degrade the life / performance of the system a great deal?
For clarity I am not talking about the B&Q style DIY install units here with the sealed pipe units, but units where the pipe is supplied effecticley open and flare joints are used.
Thanks in advance. Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@unseen.org wrote:

It is my understanding that the vacuum pump is virtually essential and anyone who says its use is optional is not being 100% truthful.
Have a look at http://www.global-cooling.co.uk/ - they are not much more expensive than the various eBay sellers but are completely honest about the necessity of using the vacuum pump. They also supply a pump with the purchased units for a nominal hire fee and deposit.
Regards,
Steve

Not on all their units...
http://global-cooling.co.uk/airconditioning/air-conditioning/new-air-conditioning-systems/new-easy-fit-air-conditioning-systems-from-399vat /
--
Skipweasel
Guy King wrote:

Yes but the original poster said he wasn't interested in 'easy fit' units with preterminated connectors though...
I love these installation pictures...
http://www.ijusthadarectalexamonline.com/archives/2005/04/entry_328.html
--
Andrew Gabriel

stevelup wrote:

Ok, thanks for your thoughts.

I had found the hire offer from Global, but unfortunately the units are massively more expensive. I can buy a 21k BTU unit from ebay for 315, they are over 1,000 pounds from Gobal.
I have found a place that will hire the pump and manifold set to 'non-purchasers' via ebay for around 75 pounds for a week, or I can get the unit 'commissioned' (Ie after I have installed it) for around 125 pounds. If I didn't need to do either of those that would obviously be even better.
Cheers Kev
snipped-for-privacy@unseen.org wrote:

What kind of pressures are we talking about here? Would a homemade vacuum pump be diyable? (this is uk.d-i-y afterall)
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

The setup I have just seen shows leaving the vacuum pump running for 30 mins and achiveing a vacuum of -1 bar (but that was as low as the gauge went).
Cheers Kev