Air Conditioning / Vacuum pump requirement

Hi

I'm looking for a cheap split Air Conditioning unit for a new conservatory. Some of these units say "No Vacuum Pump required":

dont mention it:

I generally understand that performance will be 'better' if the pipes are vacuum pumped, do they need to be, and if not will it degrade the life / performance of the system a great deal?

For clarity I am not talking about the B&Q style DIY install units here with the sealed pipe units, but units where the pipe is supplied effecticley open and flare joints are used.

Thanks in advance. Kevin

Reply to
kevin

It is my understanding that the vacuum pump is virtually essential and anyone who says its use is optional is not being 100% truthful.

Have a look at

- they are not much more expensive than the various eBay sellers but are completely honest about the necessity of using the vacuum pump. They also supply a pump with the purchased units for a nominal hire fee and deposit.

Regards,

Steve

Reply to
stevelup

The message from "stevelup" contains these words:

Not on all their units...

Guy King

Yes but the original poster said he wasn't interested in 'easy fit' units with preterminated connectors though...

Reply to
stevelup

I love these installation pictures...

Andrew Gabriel

Ok, thanks for your thoughts.

I had found the hire offer from Global, but unfortunately the units are massively more expensive. I can buy a 21k BTU unit from ebay for 315, they are over 1,000 pounds from Gobal.

I have found a place that will hire the pump and manifold set to 'non-purchasers' via ebay for around 75 pounds for a week, or I can get the unit 'commissioned' (Ie after I have installed it) for around 125 pounds. If I didn't need to do either of those that would obviously be even better.

Cheers Kev

Reply to
kevin

What kind of pressures are we talking about here? Would a homemade vacuum pump be diyable? (this is uk.d-i-y afterall)

Reply to
adder1969

The setup I have just seen shows leaving the vacuum pump running for 30 mins and achiveing a vacuum of -1 bar (but that was as low as the gauge went).

Cheers Kev

Reply to
kevin