Air brick or just drill a few holes in chimney?

I've cut out the hole for the soot door in the chimney and blocked the flue below the opening.

All I need is for the soot door to arrive, and some ventilation once the soot door is fitted.

Now it was a real bastard clearing off the rock hard render and cutting the three brick hole for the soot door.

I could cut another brick out (but it would have to be further up the chimney as the door is at a dog leg).

Alternatively I could just drill some holes through the brick.

So - apart from looking a bit random as opposed to neat, any reason not to drill holes instead of knocking a brick out?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

An airbrick is only a brick with holes. Neat sightly holes, that doesnt spend 100 years saying 'Im a bodge merchant.'

NT

Reply to
meow2222

But if it is such a difficult job I don't see anything wrong with a suitable array of holes covered with a metal louvre plate. Large-ish holes though, say half a dozen 25 mm or 2-3 50 mm if you have a core drill.

Reply to
newshound

I made my own air brick this way The louvre plate I used had a fine mesh screen on the back to keep insects out. The brick provides the needed fresh air for my gas boiler.

Reply to
charles