AEG Drill warranty Beware !!

Indeed that's why some of my equipment is Makita:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

I've also had bad experience with toolstation, and I'm rather cynical now.

In short AEG and any agreement between AEG and toolstation is simply of no relevance to you or your situation. You bought from toolstation, your purchase contract is with toolstation and noone else. In law the tool should be good for 12 months for a cheap brand, longer for brands like AEG, and if its not, its down to them to put it right, regardless of the warranty situation. (And yes, the law in full is more complex.)

If you send a letter to toolstation's registered head office, preferably signature on delivery, stating the relevant Act they are in breach of, and that you will issue a small claims court summons within

14 days if they dont rectify the problem in the way you state, the odds are high that they will immediately do as you request, as it sounds like they have very little hope of winning such a case, and it'll only cost them in legal costs plus a lost customer.

If they dont, then go ahead with small claims court. Its a simple, cheap and fairly informal process, nothing like a courtroom at all. Its designed to be used by people with more or less no legal knowledge, without representation, and without the risk of having to pay costs if you lose.

There is room for facts you've not mentioned to change the situation.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

After reading all the reply's to my post, I realise where I went wrong with toolstation, I wasn't firm enough and should have took it further while I was in the store or talking to the lady on the phone.

First thing is to talk to trading standards so they are on board so to speak, I suppose they will suggest contacting tool station again and stating the facts and then move on from there. The CC company are already to run with this too but I have to wait till their main office is open on Monday morning.

I find the idea of court a worry but if it comes to it I will use that option.

Thank you to all those who have replied, I have been enlightened as to my options :-)

Reply to
Martop

It *is* toolstation's responsibility. Sounds like a letter before action is called for, giving them 14 days to sort it out. Recorded delivery and a copy to your credit card company too.

Reply to
<me9

Quite a few years ago, when I worked regularly as a close up magician, I took someone to the small claims court & found it a painless process.

Don't worry about it - it really is simple & easy.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'd not hold out much hope of getting help on an individual case from trading standards if my experience is to go on. They're more interested in building a case history against a firm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I wouldnt bother with TS either.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Let me guess, they made your invoice disappear?

Reply to
John Rumm

You don't obtain the RMA no. Toolstation do. Its the Return Merchandise Authorisation no. Toolstation are the people who do the returning but they need to inform the manufacturer beforehand so a number can be allocated. This enables the manufacturer to identify items being returned to them

The reason Toolasation prices are so competitive is maybe because all their staff aren't trained in all the procedures. I've alawys found them o.k but they're trained to follow whatever the computer says. In this case the assistant wrongly assumed it was you the customer who obtained the RMA

You or Toolastation won't have got much joy out of Ryopbi\AEG as they probably work office hours with skeleton staff at weekends. As to the chuck - as far as guarenteeds are concerened its not the chuck that's faulty its the drill. End of. Weekends are always a good time to get clueless responses to emails.

Phone Toolstation on Monday, ask to speak to the Branch Manager. Explain the mix-up over the RMA number, and tell him when you'll be returning the drill, and ask him to inform the counter staff accordingly.

michael adams

michael adams

I wouldn't bother with Trading Standards either. They may be able to tell you your rights but if my past experience is anything to go by they won't actually do anything.

I can't believe ToolStation could have this simple matter solved in seconds by just accepting your faults goods and returning them on your behalf, well actually I can as a lot of companies are so ignorant of the SOGA or just choose to ignore it.

My experience with the SOGA went like this: Bought a Sanyo TV from Argos in 2006. 18months later the sound went on it. I phoned Argos several times claiming it was faulty and under the SOGA it was reasonable to expect it to last longer than 18 months. Every operator told me it was nothing to do with Argos as the 12month warranty had passed. I managed to obtain the Managing Directors name of Argos and copied him in on a letter I sent to the Head of Customer services. Just stating facts and relevant details of the SOGA

Within 2 days I received a telephone call from an Argos manager who couldn't be any more helpful, telling me to choose any new TV from the Argos book and they would pay the full amount from the previous TV I bought plus an extra £50 in compensation.

I personally wouldn't bother with staff on the ground level if they failed to help me and would just go to the top.

Reply to
RoundSquare

And I expect for 99.99% of people complaining that would end the matter. Why do you think they try it on?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

No one does in the first instance. Toolstation just need to fulfil their legal obligations wrt the SOGA.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

- No one does in the first instance. Toolstation just need to fulfil

- their legal obligations wrt the SOGA.

which are...

Circumstances when customers do not have a legal right to a refund, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ repair or replacement ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Customers do not have a legal right to a refund, repair or replacement from you if they

  • accidentally damaged the item ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ * misused it and caused a fault ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ * tried to repair it themselves or had someone else try to repair it, which damaged the item

very much doubt if Toolstation counter staff have sufficient training to decide whether tools have been subject to misuse repair or accidental damage.

In normal circumstances that's probably best decided by the manufacturer or their service agent. Hence the need for an RMA no. from the manufacturer or service agent to speed the process.

michael adams

MBQ

Reply to
michael adams

> I very much doubt if Toolstation counter staff have sufficient

I think it is 6 times I have issued and served county court summons. Market trader that sold me a duff watch, furniture warehouse that couldn't supply the goods and kept breaking promises to refund deposit, dixons who wouldn't supply correct disks for DVD recorder etc.

Every time the defendant settled as soon as the summons was served. Funny how big companies legal depts fall over themselves to settle as quickly as possible after the company has messed you about for ages.

Local county court offices tend to be helpful and the case will normally be heard where the purchase took place or near your home if ordered over the internet from home.

You can claim on-line but proceeding are issued out of one court somewhere so if the claim were defended it would be best for you to apply for it to be heard local to you.

when all else fails I write to the chief exec (having found out his name) and to the credit card company.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Ignorance probably. I remember at the time when my TV went on the blink and I was telling my workmates, not one of them reckoned I was due anything in respect of a warranty. Even when I told them about the SOGA they just humoured me. Even when I got to replace my TV I think a few of them thought I was at it.

Reply to
RoundSquare

12month

Ignorance on the part of the Customer Service Rep or the punter?

I see that "Why do you think they try it on?" is a bit ambigous, I was refering to the companies trying it on, as in saying "12 month warranty expired, tough", rather than the punter trying to get more than their entitlement.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice