Advice on choosing a radiator

Hi there,

Due to a leak, we've removed a large radiator (1400mm x 600mm) from our attic bedroom. It was attached to the wooden beams that I'm assuming (complete DIY idiot here, sorry) support the roof (+ false ceiling), and the plasterboard wall that blocks off the eaves.

The radiator was *really* heavy (steel I assume?), and just seems *too* heavy for the two not-very-big screws holding it to the two not-very-big, load-bearing (is that the right word?) beams.

Which (finally) leads me to my question! Is there such a thing as a 'lightweight radiator'? Can you get really flat ones, or aluminium ones, or something else along these lines?

I've looked online, but not found much, other than weird-shaped 'designer' ones, or ones designed for bathrooms.

I don't know if I'm worrying about nothing, but since the rest of the house seems like it was renovated by chimps (it was converted from a shop by the guy we bought it from, and he's left us *lots* of nasty surprises), I'm really bothered that the radiator is just too heavy for where and how it's fixed.

Any adivce would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Lin.

I am not aware of lightweight radiators. You don't say whether the radiator is a double or single panel. The only options to reduce weight I am aware of are to replace a double panel with a single panel, or to replace with a smaller radiator. These options will result in less heat output, and may involve moving the pipes. You may have to move the pipes anyway if 1400mm x

600mm panels are no longer available. You don't say how thick and wide the beams are; will they take larger screws and can the beams be reinforced with additional timber? Obviously the fixings need to support both the radiator and the water. Did the radiator leak from the panel or from a valve, a joint between a pipe and valve, or between a valve and the radiator? If the leak was from the panel, due to a rust hole *penetrating* through, the cause of this inside to outside corrosion needs to be investigated as all your radiators could develop the same problem. If the leak was from a compression joint or valve then these can usually be fixed by slight tightening.
Reply to
Phil Anthropist

alurad.com do some ordinary looking aluminium radiators.

Reply to
marvelus