ADSL router battery backup

Float charging isn't a bodge when done properly with regulation. Also consider that the waveform from a cheap UPS is far from signwave, and there are plenty of instances where the SMPSs were causing interference to the very modems and routers they were intended to supply.

Reply to
Graham.

Given that you can buy a UPS for under 25 quid I'm not sure why you're contemplating buying a battery and then building a battery charger for it???

Unless of course the DIY aspect will give you pleasure in which case go ahead!

Bovvered?

,

I've already got a couple of spare UPSs...so there'd be no outlay at all with that method - it just seemed like a waste to turn 12v into

240, then back again into 12. Plus it's a bigger unit sizewise. The lash-up job would seem to require just a wall-wart charger and a UPS battery.

Absolutely! Mind you, I see that there are conflicting views as to whether there'd be any noise introduced into the router - so it'd be worth finding out with a practical test.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Do report your results. I'm in the 'no significant noise' camp.

Reply to
Grunff

May be true, although I've put together enough systems and had them measured for EMC over the years that the obvious is not always a given. RF can be funny stuff involving green fingers.

When conducting such a test, it's important to do it for slots of time over several 24hr periods because noise sensitivities and margins and error rates tend to increase in the evenings in a lot of cases. If there's plenty of margin, then fine, but near the limits every dB makes a difference.

A router that reliably reports the various figures is important for this. Not all do and there is a lot of buggy firmware around. I looked at one a couple of weeks ago where the figures were obviously not in the realms of believability for ADSL lines.

Looking just at the IP transfer rates etc. doesn't really substitute well for this.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Totally agree; but my reasoning is that most sub £200 routers, even my two Zyxels, have crappy PSUs. Therefore I reason that the router itself must do a reasonable amount of cleaning and decoupling.

Reply to
Grunff

Mine was based on using an ordinary car battery charger - a reasonably recent one with electronic regulation - on my car. I happened to switch on the car radio while it was charging to find a deal of hum coming out of the speakers. And that *was* from the charger. Of course I'm not saying *every* charger ever made produces dirty DC and that it *will* cause problems for your project. Just to be aware it might.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well yes.....

Except that the router could easily have a set of filter components that do a job at one range of frequency for one crappy PSU, but another supply may operate at a different frequency where the filtering ain't so good or there is some internal resonance in the router electronics or ......

This is probably not that likely, especially if one chooses a good power supply. The trouble is that these again begin to become expensive. Debugging and fixing would be difficult without RF test gear which is not realistic.

Nonetheless, it's an interesting experiment if there's a use for the bits if it doesn't work.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ok, I see how that might happen.

Reply to
Grunff

It's a Buffalo router - I'll have a look at the admin pages to see what can be used to measure how well the unit performs when powered by the battery ( as opposed to its supplied wall transformer ). Picked up an automatic trickle charger box off ebay for £9.00 - once it arrives I'll lash it all up and see what 'appens.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Certainly is - I've got a 12v Cluson torch that needs a trickle charger, so I won't be stuck with a useless bit of kit if the router idea doesn't work.

Regards.

Reply to
Stephen Howard